Allied Health Professions Education and Workforce Policy Review: Workforce and Recruitment Subgroup minutes: May 2022

Minutes from the meeting of the subgroup on 9 May 2022.

Attendees and apologies


  • Alistair Reid, Healthcare Improvement Scotland (HIS)
  • Anne Wallace, Scottish Government
  • Alison Moore, Scottish Government
  • Lyndsay Turner, Scottish Government
  • Allie McMahon, Scottish Government
  • Anita Simmers, Council of Deans of Health
  • Glenn Carter, Allied Health Professions Federation Scotland (AHPFS)
  • Kenryck Lloyd Jones, Allied Health Professions Federation Scotland (AHPFS)
  • Fiona Smith, NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde


  • Kay Sandilands, NHS Lanarkshire
  • David Wylie, NHS Education for Scotland (NES)
  • Paul Williams, NHS Borders 
  • Kim Lynch, Scottish Government

Items and actions

Items and actions 

Welcome and action points from previous meeting

Virtual introductions were made for all those attending.  It was noted that the minutes of the previous Workforce and Recruitment meeting held on 7 April 2022 were agreed and will be published.

Update on previously agreed action points:

  • secretariat to redraft terms of reference in line with what was discussed – complete
  • as a way forward, an action and work plan is to be created – in progres
  • group were asked to review overall driver diagram and comment on what would be appropriate for this group. Scottish Government officials to draft a driver diagram for the group to consider before the next meeting – in progress

Terms of Reference (TOR)

The TOR has been updated following discussions at the meeting held on 7 April 2022 with an additional update on the timeframe of the review. The review is to be completed with high level recommendations provided by mid November 2022, advice will be sent to the Cabinet Secretary for approval by the end November 2022 and an Implementation Plan will be published thereafter.

It was noted that not all subgroups need to work to the same timeline and some may be finished earlier. 

Action point:

  • members to let secretariat know if they are content to have their name and organisation on the website page


It was noted that the Highlight Report of the previous meeting was agreed and members are happy with this approach. 

Driver Diagram

The group reviewed and discussed the initial driver diagram, agreement was made that SG officials will refocus the content within the aim and drivers. 

Action point: 

  • driver diagram to be re-issued to group for comment once updated

Presentation - Workload and Workforce Planning (HIS)

Alistair Reid, Healthcare Improvement Scotland (HIS) presented the background to the work that is done at HIS in relation to workload and workforce planning.

When considering how this fits with the work of this subgroup, it helps provide an understanding of where we are now and what AHP workload currently looks like. This informs a baseline picture and can be used to support planning for future workforce. 

Action point:

  • AHP Safety Huddle Template to be shared
  • SG Officials working on data to meet with HIS to discuss data that is available to them

Any other business

Action point:

  • secretariat to issue invite to next meeting
Back to top