Annex A - Child Interview Rights Practitioners – Fee Structure
Fixed appointment fee (£400)
1. This is a flat fee in respect of an appointment as a ChIRP and covers:
- Reviewing available information (including the child’s interview plan).
- Communications with police officers and social workers and other relevant parties such as the child’s supporter prior to, and following, the investigative interview.
- Consultation with the child prior to, and following, the interview.
- Preparing for the investigative interview.
Consider Interview Plan and liaise with police/social work - £110 fixed fee
2. If, upon receipt of the child’s interview plan, a ChIRP realises there is a conflict of interest and needs to withdraw, it is not appropriate to claim a fixed appointment fee. If a ChIRP subsequently becomes aware of a reason why they cannot continue they will be able to claim for the work carried out.
Attendance at the investigative interview (or court as necessary): £110.00-£220.00 (per daily attendance)
3. As the ChIRP must remain on-site and at any time may be requested by the child, this will be paid regardless of whether the ChIRP is with the child in the interview room or whether they are elsewhere in the building. If the ChIRP attends the interview but the child is not able to attend, the fee of £110.00 would be paid to the ChIRP for making themselves available to attend.
4. Travel time is in line with the rates payable under the children's hearings' safeguarder scheme.
- Anything under 4 hours – Fixed fee of £30
- Anything between 4 – 6 hours (round trip) – Fixed fee of £65
- Anything between 6 – 8 hours (round trip) – Fixed fee of £130
- Over 8 hours (round trip) – Fixed fee of £150 per each day of travel
5. Travel should be calculated between the ChIRPs base/residence and the place visited. The shortest practicable route should be taken and the most effective form of transport must be considered.
Reimbursement of expenses and allowances
6. The general principle governing the claiming of expenses and allowances is that reimbursement is not appropriate unless additional expense is actually incurred in carrying out the role of a ChIRP and attending the investigative interview. When this occurs, all expenses and allowances including actual receipted costs and flat rate mileage payments are payable to ChIRPs. The rate reimbursed for expenses and allowances is as set out below.
7. Where there are items of expenses where it is not possible to obtain receipts (such as paying for parking by phone) then this should be claimed for with an explanation of why the receipt isn’t available. A cap of £10 is set on unavailable receipts.
|Expense or Allowance Type||Rate|
|Bed and Breakfast||Up to £75.00. Receipt required|
|Car Hire||Receipt required|
|Car Parking||Receipt required|
|Staying with Friend||£25.00 per 24 hours|
|Meals Allowance||Maximum £23.50 per 24 hours and receipted|
|Motor Mileage Rate||£0.45 per mile|
|Motor Cycle Allowance||£0.24 per mile|
|Pedal Cycle Allowance||£0.20 per mile|
|Passenger Supplement||£0.05 per mile per passenger|
|Overnight by Train or Boat||£24.10 per 24 hours|
|Public Transport Air||Receipt/ticket required|
|Public Transport Bus||Receipt/ticket required|
|Public Transport Rail||Receipt/ticket required Standard class should be used|
|Public Transport Ferry||Receipt/ticket required|
|Public Transport Taxi||Receipt/ticket required|
|Public Transport Tube||Receipt/ticket required|
|Toll Charges||Receipt/ticket required|
|Personal incidental Expenses Allowance||Up to £5.00 per day. Receipt required|
|Necessary and ancillary administrative expenses||Receipt required|
8. Should the services of an interpreter be required, this will be sourced and authorised by the Scottish Government.