1. For example a proposal for a Bill to ensure free access to sanitary products has been lodged by Monica Lennon MSP http://www.parliament.scot/parliamentarybusiness/Bills/105765.aspx; the Free Periods Scotland campaign is campaigning make access to period products free for all women http://www.womenforindependence.org/_freeperiodscotland; organisations such as the Scottish Trade Union Congress, the Education Institute of Scotland and National Union of Students have passed motions on access to sanitary products.
2. Monica Lennon MSP, 'A Consultation on a Bill to ensure free access to sanitary products', 2017: http://www.parliament.scot/S5MembersBills/FINAL_Ending_Period_Poverty_consultation_document.pdf
5. Young Scot, 'Access to Sanitary Products in Scotland', 2017 https://www.youngscot.net/access-to-sanitary-products-in-scotland/
7. Scottish Government, Severe Poverty in Scotland, 2015: http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2015/03/4673
8. Further breakdowns of statistics relating to poverty in Scotland, 2018: http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Social-Welfare/IncomePoverty/povertytable
10. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42013239, based on: 13 periods, 22 products per cycle and 13p per product:
11. An average of 13 periods lasting 5 days and using 4-5 products per day = 300 products. Based on retail prices. Taking the average age of menarche as 12 and of menopause as 54 (42 menstruating years in total).
13. Trussell Trust, End of Year Statistics 2017-2018: https://www.trusselltrust.org/news-and-blog/latest-stats/end-year-stats/
14. Loopstra, R, Lalor, D. 'Financial insecurity, food insecurity, and disability'. Trussell Trust, 2017; Citizen's Advice Scotland. 'Living at the Sharp End', 2016; MacLeod MA, Kearns A, Curl A. Briefing paper 28: 'Food bank use among residents of Glasgow's deprived neighbourhoods'. Glasgow: GoWell, 2016; Lawson, L, Kearns, A. 'Food and beyond: exploring the foodbank experience. Glasgow: GoWell, 2018.
16. Incomplete responses were those where only basic information such as the partner organisation and unique participant number were included i.e. no responses to survey questions or products provided were recorded.