2. Main findings
The main findings for year 4 of the target (financial year 2013/14) are:
- Senior managers in all NHSScotland boards reduced by 89.8 WTE (or 8.8%) between March 2013 and March 2014.
- Between March 2013 and March 2014, senior managers in NHSScotland territorial boards reduced by 71.3 WTE, (down 8.3%).
- Senior managers in NHSScotland special boards reduced by 18.5 WTE (11.2%) between March 2013 and March 2014.
- The overall reduction in senior management in the first four years of the target (financial years 2010/11, 2011/12, 2012/13, and 2013/14) has been 386.2 WTE (down 29.3%), which exceeds the 25% reduction target by 4.3 percentage points.
Table 1. Senior management 1,2 reduction (WTE) - progress over year 4 as at 31 March 2014 and overall 3
|Year 1 4||Year 2 4,5||Year 3 6,7||Year 4|
| Board baseline |
|31-Mar-11||31-Mar-12||31-Mar-13||31-Mar-14||Yearly change||Overall 3|
Source - NHS boards
1. In order to make the national target more consistent, NHS boards were given the opportunity to exclude clinical staff on executive and senior management pay grades, but include administrative posts on AfC band 8a and above that they would class as part of the senior managers.
2. These figures are not comparable to the management (non AfC) figures in the national statistics publication or the workforce projections publication. The definition used in the target allows the exclusion of clinically orientated staff from the management (non AfC) group and the inclusion of some AfC band 8a and above administration staff.
3. Change between 31 March 2010 and 31 March 2014
4. These data include revised senior management WTE figures for NHS 24 in years 1 and 2 due to job family reclassification.
5. These data include revised senior management WTE figures for NHS Dumfries and Galloway in year 2 whilst a staff member was in an interim position.
6. These data include revised senior management WTE figures for NHS National Services Scotland in year 3 due to job family reclassification.
7. These data include revised senior management WTE figures for NHS Lothian in year 3 due to posts being redesigned and graded to AfC.
Email: Joanne Collins