The Solheim Cup combines the tradition and prestige of the game of golf with passion for one's country and continent. Held every two years, the event has grown into the most prestigious international women's professional golf team event. The Solheim Cup is the most highly coveted trophy in women's professional golf team competition; some of the most memorable moments in the sport have happened during past Solheim Cups and berths on the European and U.S. teams are highly sought-after.
The 2019 Solheim Cup is the 16th edition and will be held from 9–15 September at the Gleneagles PGA Centenary Course in Scotland.
Scope of EQIA
The Scottish Government has prepared a full EQIA for Tourism and Events policy which aims to identify opportunities to boost equality across the tourism and events sectors. This document is being continuously developed as new data and opportunities emerge.
The full EQIA for Tourism and Events is a strategy focused document which also sets out the detailed evidence and headline opportunities for the published and developing results EQIAs for a wide range of tourism/events policy and delivery actions led by the Scottish Government and other partners including VisitScotland.
The 2019 Solheim Cuphas the potential to make a significant contribution to the EQIA for Tourism and Events.
Partners have developed an Inclusion Strategy for the Solheim Cup. Headline components are:
- Provide information about the event in a variety of accessible formats including a telephone and email contact for those with additional requirements.
- Ensure key front line staff and volunteers are trained to provide an appropriate and informed response to all customers and stakeholders focusing on attitude and approach.
- Deliver services in ways which are appropriate to their needs and, wherever possible, remove barriers which may deny access.
- Aim to provide services to meet our spectators' actual, rather than presumed needs.
- Their experience will be fully inclusive ensuring they can enjoy the atmosphere and spectacle of this world-class event. This will come in the form of:
- Consultation with experts like Euan's Guide
- Pre-registration opportunity through the event website
- Priority parking on site
- Opportunity to take advantage of shuttle transfers / mobility scooters / medical facilities whilst on site
- Access to dedicated on-course viewing areas.
- Technology and innovation will be at the forefront in delivering a successful Inclusive Strategy. Suggestions include:
- Aim to use of the latest technology for on-site registration and ticketing; and
- Provide closed-captions on TVs and big screens onsite where possible
- Aim to ensure that all spectators who visit the Solheim Cup receive the most inclusive experience possible
- Aim to ensure the Solheim Cup sets new boundaries for Inclusion at world class golf tournaments
- Provide partners with a detailed inclusion best practice checklist what will be available for future use / reference