We are committed to growing and investing in Scotland's manufacturing sector.
Our Manufacturing Action Plan (MAP), A Manufacturing Future for Scotland (February 2016), outlines how we will work with industry, our Enterprise Agencies and other key stakeholders to increase investment, innovation and productivity in the sector.
We are strengthening manufacturing in Scotland by:
- developing the National Manufacturing Institute for Scotland (NMIS), a joint skills academy and centre for manufacturing excellence
- launching a Lightweight Manufacturing Centre to give Scottish companies an edge in new manufacturing processes for lightweight materials
- working with the Scottish Manufacturing Advisory Service (SMAS) to support and deliver MAP commitments
- supporting Zero Waste Scotland to deliver the Circular Economy Investment Fund and Circular Economy Business Support Service, which will help to deliver economic growth in which resources are reused and recycled
- tackling skills shortages by promoting STEM subjects throughout the school curriculum and improving engagement between industry and education
- growing our space sector and supporting plans for launch capability and spaceports
- creating the First Minister’s Award for Manufacturing Leadership to celebrate Scotland’s innovative and exemplary manufacturers who are championing our vision for inclusive growth. Entry is open to all manufacturing companies based in Scotland. You can apply and find more information here.
Manufacturing is vital to Scotland's economy, employing more than 180,000 people across the country. The industry accounts for over half of our international exports, and half of our research and development spend.
We want to improve productivity and increase investment in the manufacturing industry, so that it continues to address regional imbalances, create highly skilled jobs, and grow our economy.
Led by Scottish Enterprise, we developed the Manufacturing Action Plan (February 2016) in partnership with Highlands and Islands Enterprise, the Scottish Funding Council, Skills Development Scotland, and Zero Waste Scotland. A MAP board was established to monitor the delivery of actions as we progress.
Email: Central Enquiries Unit
Telephone: 0300 244 4000
St Andrews House