Having somewhere to call home is a basic human right. We want to ensure that nobody has to face the blight of homelessness and everyone has a safe, warm place they can call home.


We are: 


Under the Housing (Scotland) Act 1987  a person should be treated as homeless, even if they have accommodation, if it would not be reasonable for them to continue to stay in it.

Local authorities have a legal duty to help people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. They do this by:

  • providing information and advice on homelessness and the prevention of homelessness
  • offering temporary or permanent accommodation

The Homelessness Statistics covering 1 April to 30 September 2019 were released by Scotland’s Chief Statistician in January 2020. There were 18,645 applications for homelessness assistance. This is a decrease of 2% compared to the same six-month period in 2018. 

More homelessness and housing-related statistics.  

We have provided more information about how we collect equality information and evidence to inform policy development.

Bills and legislation

The Housing (Scotland) Act 2001  introduced changes to existing homelessness legislation. It established the right to review a homelessness decision and introduced a duty on registered social landlords (RSLs) to assist local authorities in rehousing homeless people.

The Homelessness etc. (Scotland) Act 2003 outlined the provision that, by 2012, anyone finding themselves homeless through no fault of their own must be entitled to settled accommodation in a local authority or housing association tenancy or a private rental.

This amended the Housing (Scotland) Act 1987 which defines the rights of homeless people and was enshrined in law in 2012 along with the Homeless (Abolition of Priority Need Test) (Scotland) Order 2012.

In 2012 the Scottish Parliament also passed secondary legislation on housing support regulations, requiring local authorities to assess the housing support needs of homeless applicants.

The Homeless Persons (Unsuitable Accommodation) (Scotland) Amendment Order 2020, which previously prohibited local authorities from placing pregnant women or families with children into bed and breakfasts or hotels for more than seven days, was extended to all homeless households.

The Scottish Government is seeking to modify the operation of local connection referrals between local authorities in Scotland.




Telephone: 0300 244 4000

Scottish Government
Housing and Social Justice Directorate
Victoria Quay