New service opens for pilot areas in July.
The new Child Disability Payment will be open in pilot areas for applications from 26 July 2021.
Regulations passed mean that families of children with a disability or long-term health condition living in Dundee City, Perth and Kinross and the Western Isles council who need financial support should apply to the new Scottish system from this date.
This is the first application-based disability benefit to be introduced by the Scottish Government. The pilot will be followed by a full national roll-out in the autumn.
Managed by Social Security Scotland, Child Disability Payment will replace Disability Living Allowance for Children, which is currently delivered by the Department for Work and Pensions.
This latest support is being introduced for families applying for disability assistance for the first time. The three area pilot provides a further chance to get people’s feedback to ensure it meets the needs of disabled children and their families before expanding the service nationally
Families currently getting Disability Living Allowance for Children do not have to take any action. Starting later this year, their benefit will be transferred automatically to the new Scottish system. Their payments will not change and will be paid at the same rates and at the same time as their Disability Living Allowance was.
Child Disability Payment is the second form of disability assistance to be delivered under the new Scottish social security system following last year’s introduction of Child Winter Heating Assistance and the first disability benefit people can apply to Social Security Scotland for.
Applying for Child Disability Payment can be done online or by post, phone, or face to face.
Social Security Secretary Shirley-Anne Somerville said:
“I am delighted that we are gearing up to deliver this benefit for new applicants. The families who will receive Child Disability Payment have been involved throughout the design of the service.
“This will be our eleventh benefit and I want everyone to know they will be treated with the dignity, fairness and respect they can expect from Scotland’s social security service.
“We have looked at all aspects of the application process; from the wording of questions to the various ways people can apply. Parents and carers of a child with a disability or long term health condition already experience a number of challenges and accessing the financial support that they are entitled to shouldn’t be another one.
“The pilot in Dundee City, Perth and Kinross and the Western Isles gives us the opportunity to make sure that the new disability benefit system meets people’s needs ahead of its nationwide roll out from the autumn.”
- Child Disability Payment will provide money to help with the extra care and mobility costs children and young people with a disability may have, up to the age of 18
- People who currently get disability benefits from DWP will have their awards transferred to the new Scottish system in stages after the new benefits are introduced. This work is expected to be completed to the previously announced timeline of 2025
- Young people and children in Scotland who are currently getting Disability Living Allowance for children from the DWP will no longer need to apply for PIP when they turn 16. They will stay on Disability Living Allowance to age 18
- Child Winter Heating Assistance was the first disability assistance to be introduced by the Scottish Government. This is an annual £200 payment for children and young people who receive the highest rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance and will help families meet day and night-time winter fuel costs
- From autumn 2021, Social Security Scotland will administer 11 benefits.
- Carer’s Allowance Supplement
- Best Start Grant Pregnancy and Baby Payment
- Best Start Grant Early Learning Payment
- Best Start Grant School Age Payment
- Best Start Foods
- Funeral Support Payment
- Young Carer Grant
- Job Start Payment
- Scottish Child Payment (for children under 6 years old)
- Child Winter Heating Assistance
- Child Disability Payment