A Population Taskforce was established in June 2019 to consider Scotland’s future population challenges.
This includes intensifying existing interventions where they are effective and developing solutions to address demographic and population change. The taskforce meets quarterly.
The Population Programme dashboard can be used to monitor progress and understand the demographic challenges in Scotland.
- Cabinet Secretary for the Constitution, External Affairs and Culture (chair)
- Cabinet Secretary for Rural Affairs and Islands
- Cabinet Secretary for Health and Social Care
- Cabinet Secretary for Social Justice, Housing and Local Government
- Cabinet Secretary for Net Zero, Energy and Transport
- Minister for Just Transition, Employment and Training
- Minister for Higher Education, Further Education, Youth Employment and Training
- Minister for Culture, Europe and International Development and Minister with special responsibility for Refugees from Ukraine
- Minister for Public Health, Women’s Health and Sport
- Minister for Public Finance, Planning and Community Wealth
- Minister for Equalities and Older People
- Minister for Children and Young People
- Minister for Business, Trade, Tourism and Enterprise
- Minister for Transport
- Minister for Zero Carbon Buildings, Active Travel and Tenant’s Rights
Other ministers may attend the taskforce depending on the items on the agenda.
Ministers and officials supporting the taskforce regularly meet representatives from local government and other partners, some of whom attend the Population Programme Board, which forms part of the governance structure of the taskforce.
- A Scotland for the future: opportunities and challenges of Scotland's changing population
- Population Taskforce minutes: February 2022
- Population Taskforce minutes: October 2021
- Population Taskforce minutes: January 2021
- Population Taskforce minutes: September 2020
- Population Taskforce minutes: January 2020
- Population Taskforce minutes: October 2019
- Population Taskforce minutes: June 2019
- Population Taskforce: terms of reference
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback