Farming opportunities for new entrants (FONE)
This group was set up to develop a farming opportunities for new entrants programme. The group was established in 2016.
Priorities for 2021
- Make available 300 hectares of publicly owned land to New Entrants.
- Take forward governance of Scotland’s Land Matching Service toward its target of securing at least eight agreements during its second year.
- Extend the scope of the Land Matching Service to cover Crofting and work closely with the Crofting Commission to look at alternative options to Crofting sub-lets, working with stakeholders to develop a consistent narrative of what is possible in terms of making best use of Crofts and attracting New Entrants.
- Advocate the support of New Entrants in future policy, ensuring that future support recognises the needs of New Entrants and represents their interests in future policy.
- Continue beyond the public sector, highlighting opportunities to private estates and owner occupiers.
- Facilitate the promotion of case studies and other promotional material to include further development of general guidance and signposting for New Entrants.
- Facilitate one Starter Farm to progress beyond their 10-year tenure.
- Cabinet Secretary to continue to promote the benefits of FONE at key events to maintain momentum.
Chair – Henry Graham: National chair of Lantra Scotland, Chair of the Implementation Group for the Skills Action Plan for Rural Scotland and Scottish Government’s Education and Training Champion
Derek Wilson: Head of Unit in Scottish Government’s Agriculture Transformation in Productivity
Stewart Hendry: Agricultural advisor, Forestry and Land Scotland (FLS)
- Harriet Donald: Land use manager Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park currently on secondment to Scottish Land Commission; FCS starter farmer Port of Menteith
Kirsten Williams: SAC consultant and farms the FCS starter farm at Huntly
Penny Montgomerie: Chief executive at Scottish Association of Young Farmers Clubs (SAYFC)
- Stephen Young: Head of Policy at Scottish Land and Estates
James Mackessack-Leitch: Scottish Land Commission (SLC)
- TBC, National Farmers Union Scotand (NFUS) representative