Enterprise and Skills Strategic Board
The Strategic Board was created in November 2017 in response to the Enterprise and Skills Review. Its objective is to align and co-ordinate the activities of Scotland's enterprise and skills agencies: Scottish Enterprise, Highlands and Islands Enterprise, Skills Development Scotland and the Scottish Funding Council.
The Strategic Board seeks to maximise the impact of the collective investment that Scotland makes in enterprise and skills development, and to create the conditions that are conducive to delivering inclusive and sustainable growth.
The aims of the Strategic Board are as follows:
- improve the overall performance of the economy by ensuring that the whole Enterprise and Skills System delivers Scotland's Economic Strategy and supporting strategies, in all parts of Scotland
- through collective responsibility ensure hard alignment between agencies to drive improvement in Scottish productivity and better support business and users of the skills system
- hold agencies to account for performance against agreed measures
- to actively engage with other agencies and bodies who support the economy with a view to increasing alignment and challenging others where collaboration is not happening
- to deliver wider collective leadership, based on common culture and values, and which inspires and empowers delivery
The Strategic Board meets every two months.
In June 2018 the Board published its outline strategic plan which was a precursor to the full strategic plan to be published later that year.
The full strategic plan was published in October 2018, outlining a series of actions for Scotland’s enterprise and skills agencies and a blueprint to the government, aimed at driving productivity and inclusive growth.
14 agency actions and 18 recommendations for Government are outlined around four interconnected missions: Skills for the Future; Business Models and Workplace Innovation; Business Creation and Growth and Exports.
The Board has considered how programmes and activities around these missions can be delivered more cohesively to make Scottish companies more resilient in the face of a changing global landscape; how they can scale up, grow and globalise and prepare for future opportunities such as automation and digitalisation and challenges such as climate change.
It also encourages a shift to a more demand-led skills system that better responds to the current and future skills needs of employers and individuals, including expanding work-based learning, and increasingly supports individuals to upskill and reskill.
- Nora Senior – Chair – former Chair, Scottish Chambers of Commerce, and former President, UK Chambers of Commerce
- Wendy Alexander – University of Dundee
- Karen Betts – Scotch Whisky Association
- Liz Cameron – Scottish Chambers of Commerce
- Mike Cantlay – Scottish Funding Council
- Sara Carter – University of Strathclyde
- Lorne Crerar – Highlands and Islands Enterprise
- Audrey Cumberford – Edinburgh College
- Jeanette Forbes – PCL Group
- Russel Griggs – South of Scotland Economic Partnership
- Poonam Gupta – PG Paper Company
- Steven Heddle – COSLA
- Bob Keiller – Scottish Enterprise
- John McClelland – Skills Development Scotland
- Gerry McCusker – Dog Digital, Chair of BIMA Scotland
- Scott McLarty – Spirit Aerosystems
- Grahame Smith – STUC
- Willie Mackay (interim) – Scottish Enterprise (winter 2019)
- Frank Mitchell – Skills Development Scotland (winter 2018)
- Enterprise and Skills Board: strategic plan
- Enterprise and Skills Strategic Board: outline plan
- Enterprise and Skills Strategic Board: members' biographies
- Enterprise and Skills Strategic Board minutes: February 2019
- Enterprise and Skills Strategic Board minutes: January 2019
- Enterprise and Skills Strategic Board minutes: November 2018
- Enterprise and Skills Strategic Board minutes: September 2018
- Enterprise and Skills Strategic Board minutes: August 2018
- Enterprise and Skills Strategic Board minutes: June 2018
- Enterprise and Skills Strategic Board minutes: May 2018
- Enterprise and Skills Strategic Board minutes: March 2018
- Enterprise and Skills Strategic Board minutes: January 2018
- Enterprise and Skills Strategic Board minutes: December 2017