Age of Criminal Responsibility Advisory Group
On 29 April 2019, the Minister for Children and Young People Maree Todd announced that an advisory group would be established to review the operation of the Age of Criminal Responsibility (Scotland) Act 2019 and to consider potential future ages of criminal responsibility in Scotland.
This group will take a coherent evidence-led approach to evaluating the change in the age of criminal responsibility in Scotland from 8 to 12, as well as considering what a future age may look like.
Any further increase in the age of criminal responsibility must be fully thought through to meet the needs of all of our children and our communities.
The following organisations are members of the group:
- Action for Children
- Centre for Youth and Criminal Justice
- Crown Office & Procurator Fiscal Service
- Disclosure Scotland
- CAMHS Lead Clinicians' Group
- National Youth Justice Advisory Group
- Police Scotland
- Scottish Children’s Reporter Administration
- Social Work Scotland
- Victim Support Scotland
- Children’s Hearings Scotland
- Scottish Courts and Tribunal Service