The latest statistical data releases are based on a revised methodology. Publications from 2019-20 include retrospective statistics to compare the new source with previous publications. These data are currently classed as experimental statistics to allow for stakeholder engagement and feedback on their contents and methodology.
Official statistics from the previous source relied on daily snapshots, which were affected by a technical issue leading to their discontinuation. Between 2013-14 and 2019-20, SPS provided annual aggregations of their prison population estimates available on the Scottish Prison Service website.
- View all crime and justice statistics
Scottish Prison Population
- Scottish Prison Population Statistics: Legal Status, 2019-20
- Scottish prison population: statistics 2019 to 2020
- Scottish Prison Population Projections: 2008-2009 to 2017-2018
- Prison statistics and population projections Scotland: 2013-14
- Prison statistics and population projections Scotland: 2011-12
- Statistical bulletin - Crime and Justice series: Prison statistics Scotland 2010-11
You can find older publications in this series in our archive.