The UK Government established the building safety programme after the Grenfell Tower fire in June 2017. The UK Government’s Independent Expert Panel on Fire Safety was also established at this time. The expert panel published consolidated advice on 20 January 2020 dealing with the fire performance of cladding, fire doors and other construction details. The advice is intended to assist building owners in managing risk, but has no legally established status in Scotland and does not take precedence over Scottish building and fire regulations, standards and guidance.
On 30 March 2020, through our Building and Fire Safety Ministerial Working GroupScottish Ministers agreed to set up a Technical Working Group to develop a Scottish advice note to determine the fire risk posed by external wall systems in existing multi-storey residential buildings.
The Scottish advice note will bring clarity to the different legislative requirements and guidance in Scotland and take account of the key findings from large scale and intermediate scale fire testing of external wall cladding systems carried out by the UK Government.
The group met four times and the minutes of its meetings are published below.
- Scottish Advice Note Technical Working Group minutes: 22 April 2020
- Scottish Advice Note Technical Working Group minutes: 13 May 2020
- Scottish Advice Note Technical Working Group minutes: 03 June 2020
- Scottish Advice Note Technical Working Group minutes: 12 February 2021
The Scottish Government gathered views on this draft Scottish advice note from those affected by, and responsible for, fire safety in residential buildings. This helped to inform revisions and the final published document.
The draft Scottish advice note and a short background note containing a set of questions and a response form are provided below.
- External wall systems (version 3.0): draft advice note
- External wall systems - advice note: background, consultation questions and response form
- Multi‑storey residential buildings - fire risk posed by external wall systems: consultation analysis
To support feedback on the draft Scottish advice note, three webinars were organised in September and October 2020. Over 400 people registered for the webinars. View a video of the final webinar.
Final version of advice
Following consideration of the comments received during the consultation period, the final version of the Scottish Advice Note: Determining the fire risk posed by external wall systems in existing multi-storey residential buildings was published on 4 August 2021.