Clare Haughey was appointed Minister for Mental Health in June 2018.
Supports the Cabinet Secretary for Health and Sport.
Specific responsibilities are:
- mental health
- child and adolescent mental health
- adult support and protection
- autism, sensory impairment and learning difficulties
- Mental Welfare Commission for Scotland (safeguards the rights of people with mental health problems, learning disabilities, dementia and related conditions)
- survivors of childhood abuse
- The State Hospital (Carstairs)
She has worked as a mental health nurse, specialising in pregnant mothers and those with a young baby, and has been a clinical nurse manager.
Clare was elected as MSP for Rutherglen in May 2016. She was previously a divisional convenor in UNISON.
She grew up in Rutherglen and is a mother to three children.