Elena Whitham was appointed Minister for Community Safety in November 2022.
Supports the Cabinet Secretary for Justice and Veterans.
Specific responsibilities are:
- Scottish Fire and Rescue Service
- community safety
- civil law and tribunals
- anti-social behaviour
- legal profession
- legal regulation
- access to justice
- Legal Aid Fund
- Scottish Law Commission Bills
- strategic approach to women in the justice system
- violence against women, prostitution and misogynistic harassment
- control of dogs including review of the Dangerous Dog Act
- alcohol licensing
- human trafficking
Prior to entering elected politics, Ms Whitham worked in community youth and homelessness roles and ran three businesses as a sole trader, in addition to spending over a decade as a Women’s Aid worker in Ayrshire, supporting women and children experiencing domestic abuse.
More recently, she served as the Depute Leader of East Ayrshire Council and was also COSLA’s Community Wellbeing Spokesperson, where her remit included housing and homelessness.
- Read more about Elena Whitham on the Scottish Parliament website.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback