Ruaraidh Macniven has been Director of the Scottish Government Legal Directorate since June 2019.
As Solicitor to the Scottish Government and Director of the Scottish Government Legal Directorate (SGLD), Ruaraidh:
- oversees the SGLD which provides legal services and advice to the Scottish Government and its agencies
- is Head of the Government Legal Service for Scotland
- is Council member for the Law Society of Scotland
Ruaraidh has worked in the Government Legal Service for Scotland (GLSS) since April 1999. His previous roles within the GLSS include:
- Head of Advisory and Legislation Division of the Office of the Advocate General
- Legal Secretary to the Advocate General
- Head of the Civil Recovery Unit within COPFS
- Acting Head of the Constitutional and Civil Law Division, SGLD
- Legal Secretary to the Lord President
He has also worked in the Scottish Parliament and the Office to the Solicitor to the Secretary of State for Scotland.