Joe Griffin was appointed Director for Safer Communities in March 2020.
The Director for Safer Communities is responsible for police and fire services and related inspectorates, resilience, counter-terrorism and defence, Justice Analytical Services and policies to address crime, drugs and sectarianism.
Joe has been working for the Scottish Government since 2004 in mainly policy roles, including:
- Director, Directorate of Early Learning and Childcare
- Deputy Director for Creating Positive Futures, Directorate for Children and Families
- Acting Director for Fair Work
- Head of Reducing Reoffending, Directorate for Justice
- Principal Private Secretary to the First Minister
Before his move to Scotland, Joe was a diplomat at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office which included postings to New York and Paris.
He is also co-covenor of the Race Equality Network.