- 8 Jun 2021
The purpose of the working group will be to assist the Children’s Rights Unit in developing guidance for public authorities and those undertaking functions of a public nature to implement the UNCRC.
It is proposed that the initial focus of the Group will be on the development of Phase 1 guidance, which is focused on supporting public authorities readiness for commencement of the Bill. The Group will also be asked to assist in the development of Phase 2 and 3 guidance and will consider how guidance can best support wider cultural change and understanding of children’s rights within the delivery of public services.
The membership of the Group will be flexible but will include representation from leaders in the children’s rights sector, public authorities, and the wider third sector.
Members have agreed on bringing in the views of children and young people they work with, especially when making decisions in the Group.
A list of those who have been invited to the first Group meeting can be found below.
Timeline and meetings
In order to inform the rapid development of the Phase 1 guidance and to enable the Children’s Rights Unit to meet our ambition of making guidance available as soon as possible the first meeting of Group will be held on 17 May 2021. The frequency of subsequent meetings will be determined by the Group.
There will be no requirement for all members to join every meeting and attendance can be judged by members on relevance and interest. There will likely be communication with members of the Group and the Children’s Rights Unit between meetings to share progress and information.
Secretariat support for the Group will be provided by the Children’s Rights Unit. The lead contact is Luiza Leite Luiza.firstname.lastname@example.org) The secretariat will:
- circulate an agenda and other relevant papers in advance of each meeting and
- minutes and actions will be taken for each meeting and circulated approximately one week after each meeting
List of members
- Suzanne Brown, SCRON
- Lucinda Rivers/Dragan Nastic, Unicef
- Kenny Meechan, Glasgow City Council / SOLAR
- Nicola Hogg/Alistair Stobbie, SOLAR
- Julie Williams/Joanne Glennie/ Nancy Fancott, CCPS (Coalition of Care and Support Providers in Scotland)
- Darren Little, Dumfries and Galloway Council (Children’s Services Planning Strategic Lead)
- Jill Laspa, COSLA
- Morag Driscoll, Law Society of Scotland
- Juliet Harris/Maria Doyle, Together
- Deborah Davidson, ADES
- Dr Debby Wason, Public Health Scotland
- Colin Convery, Police Scotland
- Kavita Chetty, Scottish Human Rights Commission