Sustaining the Commitment - update: easy read version
Easy read version of updates and next steps from the 4 UK Chief Nursing Officers on the actions from the 2012 publication Strengthening the Commitment about learning disability nursing.
Sustaining the Commitment: The report of the UK Modernising Learning Disabilities Nursing Reviews - Easy Read
The ‘Strengthening the Commitment’ report was written in 2012.
The report is about learning disability nurses and the work that needs to happen.
We need to make sure that people with learning disabilities get the right care from learning disability nurses.
People from Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland have been working together.
We worked with
- People with learning disabilities
- Families and carers
We want to tell you about all the work that we have been doing.
We have been working together.
This is so that we can share information about our good ways of working.
A group of people have been working together to help us to share what things work well.
More nurses are using social media to learn, support each other and share good work.
Social media is things like Websites, Facebook and Twitter.
More nurses are meeting up together in groups to learn and share work.
Student nurses and newly qualified nurses are getting better support and training.
Learning disability nurses are helping other staff to be better at working with people with learning disabilities.
We are working to make it better for people with learning disabilities to get the healthcare they need.
Learning disability nurses are getting more training to support people with complex care and support needs.
Complex care and support needs means that people have lots of different health and care needs.
We are giving learning disability nurses:
- More training
- More resources
We still have some things that we need to work on:
- More learning disability nurses in the right places with the right skills
- Give more staff the skills to work better with people with learning disabilities
- Make health care services easier to access
- Support people with learning disabilities access services in the community
- People with learning disabilities are still in hospital settings for longer than they should be
The 4 countries have their own plan of work so that people with learning disabilities get better care and support from learning disability nurses.
We will all work together to:
- Share good ways of working.
- Train more learning disability nurses
- Support other staff to help people with learning disabilities to have their health and care needs met.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback