- 1 May 2019
Prohibited weapons and ammunition (section 5) authority
You need a section 5 authority to handle prohibited weapons, component parts and prohibited ammunition.
Section 5 authorities are usually only issued to businesses that have a specific commercial need.
Members of the public can find out how to apply for other types of firearm certificate on the Police Scotland website.
How to apply for or renew a section 5 authority
You should complete the attached application form.
You will need the following to complete your application:
- reasons for possessing the prohibited items
- details of the type and amount of prohibited weapons you wish to authorise - see chapter 3 of the Home Office guide to firearms licensing for a description of the different categories of prohibited weapons
- your current authority number if you are applying to renew or amend an existing authority
- if you will be storing prohibited items, details of how and where these will be stored
- your registered firearms dealer number if applying as a dealer
- additional supporting documents to support your application, for example invoices or contracts
Email your completed application to email@example.com or post it to the address in the contact section below.
How to amend an existing section 5 authority
If the details on your current section 5 authority have changed then you should complete pages 1 and 4 of the attached form and send it to us by email or post.
What happens next
We will review your application and contact you if we need more information. We will ask police to carry out certain checks, including inspecting any security or handling arrangements.
Safer Communities Division