ISBN 978 1 78851 214 5 (web only publication)
This document is also available in pdf format (430 KB)
Section 3: Model Private Residential Tenancy Agreement
2. Letting Agent
5. Details of the Let Property
6. Start Date of the Tenancy
7. Occupation and Use of the Let Property
9. Rent Receipts
10. Rent Increases
12. Subletting and Assignation
13. Notification About Other Residents
17. Reasonable Care
18. The Repairing Standard etc. and Other Information
The Repairing Standard
Payment for Repairs
20. Access for Repairs, Inspections and Valuations
21. Respect for Others
22. Equality Requirements
23. Data Protection
24. Ending the Tenancy
25. Contents and Condition
26. Local Authority Taxes/Charges
29. Common Parts
30. Private Garden
32. Bins and Recycling
34. Dangerous Substances Including Liquid Petroleum Gas
37. Add Any Additional Tenancy Terms Here
38. The Guarantor
Bold Text: Mandatory clauses - core rights and obligations
Normal Text: Discretionary clauses - a landlord can choose to include these if he or she wishes
An errata was issued on 9 April 2018.
Page 3 - Guarantor Bullet point updated to read:
a third party, such as a parent or close relative, who agrees to pay rent if the Tenant doesn’t pay it and meet any other obligation that the Tenant fails to meet. The Landlord can take legal action to recover from a guarantor all payments of rent, any other obligations under this Agreement, and any other payments due to the Landlord which the Tenant is required to pay under this Agreement.
Page 9 - 8 RENT, first line, updated to read:
The rent is £ ... a [week/fortnight/four weeks/calendar month/quarter/6 months] payable in [advance/arrears].
Page 10 - 11 DEPOSIT updated to read:
The Landlord must lodge any deposit they receive with a tenancy deposit scheme within 30 working days of the start date of the tenancy.
Page 22 - 26 LOCAL AUTHORITY TAXES/CHARGES:
The Landlord will notify the local authority that the Tenant is responsible for paying the council tax and any other associated charges.
The pdf and html have both been updated to reflect these changes.
- Private residential tenancy overview
- Private residential tenancy: guide for landlords
- Private residential tenancy: guide for tenants
- Private residential tenancy: easy read notes for tenants
- Private residential tenancy: statutory terms supporting notes
- Private residential tenancy: prescribed notices and forms