- 5 Nov 2019
- There were 17,256 full-time equivalent (FTE) police officers in Scotland on 30 September 2019.
- Police officer numbers have decreased by 3 FTE officers (-0.02%) in the last quarter from 30 June 2019.
- Police officer numbers have increased by 108 FTE officers (+0.6%) in the last year from 30 September 2018.
- This is an increase of 1,022 FTE police officers (+6.3%) from the 16,234 FTE police officers recorded at 31 March 2007.
The statistics in this release are based upon quarterly returns made by Police Scotland to the Scottish Government, and is a by-product of live administrative processes, generated directly from the HR systems. The data return provides a snapshot of police strength at the end of the quarter. The published police officer figures are sourced from Police Scotland’s personnel records and as such the quality and reliability is good.
The next edition in the series, Police Officer Quarterly Strength Scotland, 31 December 2019, will be published on Tuesday 4 February 2020.
- The publication file (xls) is available to download below.
- Statistical news release
- Police Scotland’s sub-national breakdown
- File type
- 44.6 kB