Proposal 17: Investing in a better service.
There is a need to increase planning fees to ensure the planning service is better resourced to deliver the changes which we all want to see.
Why we are making a change
We believe the system needs to be properly resourced and supported to deliver that more ambitious and enabling agenda which we are proposing. Part of this is ensuring that planning fees reflect the work that goes in to providing the service.
What we are doing
- we consulted on raising the maximum planning fee for Major Applications
- a new revised maximum fee of £125k came into force on 1 June 2017
- given the limited existing powers in current legislation around resourcing, the Planning Bill includes additional enabling powers that provide scope to widen discretionary charging and to extend the range of services for which fees can be charged
How we will deliver change
- Primary legislation – Enabling powers to allow for discretionary cahrging have been included in the Planning Bill
- Secondary Legislation – existing fees regulations will be reviewed
- Guidance – yes
- Non legislative action – no
- we will consult again on the fee structure and enhanced fees, including discretionary charging to ensure they reflect the development coming forward
- we will undertake a full impact assessment on the implication of the changes for users of the system
Telephone: 0131 244 7059
Area 2-H (South)
Planning and Architecture Division
The Scottish Government
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback