Pelvic Floor Registry Implementation Group minutes: September 2022

Minutes from the meeting of the group held on the 7 September 2022.

Attendees and apologies

  • Christine Hemming, Deputy MD for Acute Sector/DCD Med/Gynaecologist, NHS Grampian
  • Sara Davies, Public Health Consultant, Scottish Government
  • Susan Lloyd-MacGlip, IRIC Co-ordinator, National Services Scotland
  • Alison Smith, Senior Inspector, National Services Scotland
  • Shameem Akhtar, Senior Business Analyst/Project Lead, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
  • Mark Cooper, Data Manager, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
  • Tracy Birch, Senior Inspector, Health Improvement Scotland
  • Helen Simpson, Consultant Urologist, NHS Fife
  • Richmond Davies, Information Consultant, Public Health Scotland
  • Iain Robertson, Chair UDI Taskforce, Scottish Government
  • Elaine Downie, Data Protection Manager, NHS Lothian
  • Julia Wilkens, Consultant, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, NHS Lothian
  • Darryl Clark, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
  • Dyllis Bruce, Clinical Coding Manager, eHealth, NHS Grampian
  • George Fernie, Senior Medical Reviewer, Health Improvement Scotland
  • Elena Beratarbide, Head of Information Assurance and Risk, Scottish Government
  • Pam Cairns, IT and Business Delivery Manager, NHS digital
  • Veenu Tyagi, Consultant, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
  • Michelle Campbell, Information Governance Manager, NHS Fife
  • Leanne Omar, Medical Devices Policy Officer, Scottish Government
  • Helen Storkey, Information Consultant, Public Health Scotland
  • Jennifer Stewart, Senior Development Officer, Women's Health, Health and Social Care Alliance, Scotland
  • Nicola Brown, Project Support Officer, National Services Scotland


  • Jonathan Todd, Head of Information Management, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
  • Payal Narula, Senior Information Business Analyst Developer, NHS Grampian
  • Lynette Douglas, Urogynae Support Administrator, NHS Grampian
  • John Sturgeon, Head of Programmes and Development, eHealth, NHS Lothian
  • Tracey McKinley, Information Governance and Security Manager, NHS Lothian
  • Jill Burke, Project Manager, UDI Taskforce, National Services Scotland
  • Stuart Mcphail, Information Governance and Assurance Officer, Scottish Government
  • Marie McInally, Practitioner Services Division, National Services Scotland
  • Martin Clunie, IT Security Manager, NHS Lothian
  • Frankie Wallace, Programme Lead, Scan for safety, Scottish Government
  • Sheerhal Madari, Consultant Gynaecologist, NHS Grampian,
  • Stewart Whyte, Information Governance Manager, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
  • Rowen Paton, Strategy and Development Programme Manager EPR, eHealth, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
  • Fiona Alcorn, Director of Clinical Services, Spire Edinburgh Hospitals, Murrayfield
  • Linda Hodges, Director of Clinical Services, BMI Ross Hall Hospital
  • Sulisti Holmes, Head of Decontamination, National Services Scotland
  • Elizabeth MacDonald, Patient Member, Health and Social Care Alliance, Scotland
  • David Bishop, Mesh Team Leader, Scottish Government
  • Kevin Irving, IT Security Manager, NHS Fife
  • Peter Murphy, Data Manager, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
  • Paula Meechan

Items and actions


The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting today, including any new members and requested that Declaration of Interests should be sent to the Project Support Officer.

 ​​​​As well as the agenda, the Flash Report and previous minutes have been shared. The Chair asked for any concerns on the accuracy of the minutes or any comments. Minutes will be updated to reflect comments shared.

NHS digital update

Currently awaiting resources to review and sign off Section 255 that has been returned from Scotland. The ODS Codes have been set up between NHS digital and Scotland, allowing each Board to share their data with NHS digital via the web form. NHS digital have advised they are happy to host a demonstration to health board leads on sharing data via the webform.

The starter pack was presented during the meeting and will be shared with the wider group with the minutes of the meeting.

It was confirmed that once the Section 255 has been signed, then an email will be sent from the CMO to the Accountable officers and Caldicot Guardians including the starter pack. There has been a conversation with National Service Scotland (NSS) to set up a mailbox to send the bulk uploads to (MESH mailbox).

Pilot Board updates

The Chair invited representatives from the four pilot boards to provide update

NHS Grampian

Arranged meeting with NHS digital to get started

NHS Fife

Data has been submitted to relevant people and currently being reviewed and NHS digital is working with theatre colleagues to write a script to extract data.

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde

IT support recently joined Implementation Group and would like further information

NHS Lothian

In the process of getting secretary support

Independent sector

 No representative

Evaluation subgroup re-start

Confirmation that the group will be stood up and The Alliance, through Jennifer Stewart, will support the engagement of patient representatives

NHS Inform site and patient leaflet

Patient Leaflet was shared ahead of the meeting for comments.


Highlighting the benefits, what organisations will data be shared with, consistent language and include video media or content to share on social media.

Concerns have been noted and the Chair, recognised and sympathised with clinicians that have undertaken pelvic floor surgery

The comments that were made will be considered, and this leaflet will be updated and re-shared. This will also be shared with patient representatives

Patient representative update

No representative

National Audit Board and Medical Device/Scan for Safety feedback

Four Nations have been working together on UK Medical Devices Information System (MDIS) however the reappraisal is that it is now less likely to require the capture of all data and be legally based, but feature outcome-based registries.  Further updates will be given as developments occur.

Scan for Safety is designed to improve medical device data capture. The first part of the year has been putting in the Programme structure in place including the technical elements. Currently progressing towards a clinical phase, and Health Board Lead Delivery Group has commenced.

Any other business

Healthcare Improvement Scotland (HIS) link re independent hospitals

Approach will be the same as with Breast Implantation Registry. Happy to discuss with new services that are being registered and share communication wider. It would be useful to share the CMO letter with HIS.


  • NHS updated on Section 255, starter pack, ODS codes and webform
  • the Evaluation Group will recommence
  • the patient leaflet will be revised
  • will contact independent sector to confirm a representative
  • Scan for Safety will start with radiology as they have a digital catalogue, with completion aim of 2025
  • HIS colleagues will support with independent hospitals and will share the CMO letter to them


Share Starter Pack with meeting minutes – Nicola Brown

Back to top