Anti-Racism Interim Governance Group to Develop National Anti-Racism Infrastructure minutes: February 2023

Minutes from the meeting of the group on 22 February 2023.

Attendees and apologies

  • Moi Ali, author and expert on communications and marketing
  • Dr Addy Adelaine, International Social Worker and expert in action research and inclusive accountability
  • Tuoyo Ayiku, Head, Heart of Africa charity and manager, Heart in the Community Café
  • Ndaye Lisa Badji, Head of Advocacy and Partnerships, Intercultural Youth Scotland
  • Jatin Haria, Executive Director, Coalition for Racial Equality and Rights
  • Professor Ima Jackson, Co-Chair, Professor of Community Engagement in Research, Social Policy and Infrastructure Development, Glasgow Caledonian University
  • Micheal Matovu, Co-Founder of Radiant and Brighter
  • Monica Lee-McPherson, Head, Scottish Highlands and Islands and Moray Chinese Association (SHIMCA)
  • Kate Miguda, Professor Ima Jackson’s Mentee
  • Professor Nasar Meer, Professor of Race, Identity and Citizenship, University of Edinburgh
  • Hazel Peters, young person with anti-racist expertise and lived experience
  • Adebusola Ramsay, Information Analyst and expert in racialised data
  • Dr Mark Wong, Senior Lecturer, Public Policy and Research Methods, Glasgow University 
  • Talat Yaqoob, Co-Chair, Independent Consultant and Social Researcher across equalities issues


  • Dr Halima Begum, CEO, Runnymede Trust
  • Hana Bloedel, Youth Advocacy Lead, Intercultural Youth Scotland
  • Professor Kevin Fenton, Regional Director for London, Office for Health Improvement and Disparities (OHID) within the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC)
  • Dr Gina Netto, Reader, International and Forced Migration, Heriot-Watt University

Scottish Government

  • Jeff Macdonald, Secretariat
  • Frankie McLean, Race Equality Team Lead

Items and actions

Key discussion points

The actions from the previous meeting were presented in a visual tracker format and verbally agreed.

Community research update

The informational video and flyer has been shared with the group. The flyer was displayed during the meeting and the group provided feedback: comments included queries regarding font size, accessibility, lack of subtitles and updating the main heading to include ‘Anti-Racism Observatory’. 

Secretariat will collate comments and share with group members and community researchers together via email, requesting group members to provide further feedback directly to the Anti-Racism Interim Governance Group to Develop National Anti-Racism (AIGG) researchers email address.

Following the video/flyer content being agreed by the group, and then issued to the wider community, the responses will be analysed via a working group with the researchers. Group members were encouraged to join and provide their input.

Intercultural Youth Scotland (IYS) asked for an update on the outcome of the community research Community Participatory Action Group (CPAG) meeting, highlighting IYS are waiting on a response from the community researchers. Co-Chairs will liaise with the community researchers to seek an update to be sent to IYS.

Scottish Government

Provided an overview of future Scottish Government Race Equality Policy work in relation to the Immediate Priorities Plan (IPP) and Race Equality Framework (REF).

Group members highlighted the REF and IPP actions need to be continued to be separated out.

Group members commented they would like to understand both what internal accountability mechanisms will be utilised and what community engagement approach will be adopted, prior to publication, to ensure appropriate representation and engagement from various different groups of people and communities. 

It was noted this will be reviewed following the outcome of the accountability questions process, including reflecting upon what learning and recommendations are made.

Scottish Government will provide further updates in due course, noting a community event is being considered to engage with communities to receive feedback regarding future workstreams.

Group members noted that skilled facilitation should be brought in and that group members could potentially support with this - both in terms of identifying groups and cascading information, and with identifying suitable facilitators.

Overview of future AIGG meeting scheduling

The following meetings are to be set up:

  • a meeting to discuss and agree structure of the Observatory model.
  • timetabled meetings with Scottish Government once the model has been agreed.
  • then at least two meetings (potentially 90 minutes each) to assess the accountability question responses.
  • a meeting with Scottish Government to understand the IPP further (subsequent to what Scottish Government has discussed today).
  • follow up discussion (group members only) regarding how Scottish Government can engage with Anti-Racism approaches post-IPP.
  • a meeting with community researchers to follow up where the AIGG have got to, and to analyse the survey responses.
  • further informal meetings.

Co-Chairs recognised there are a lot of meetings to be scheduled and sought group members participation, highlighting it is crucial for group members to  continue engaging until May and beyond.

IYS highlighted it’s particularly important that young people can engage in meetings where decisions are being made, noting consideration needs to be given to accessible times. IYS noted they have communicated availability to the Secretariat and Co-Chairs.  

The Co-Chairs asked the group to flag their own flexibility to attend evening meetings, via a Doodle poll, to aid with meeting planning before sending out a calendar of upcoming AIGG meetings.

An overview of the Co-Chair meetings with the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) and Audit Scotland was provided.

Observatory modelling discussion

The group discussed modelling of the Observatory, including the positive and negatives of the various models in the ‘table of options’ modelling document.

Co-Chairs noted that one further AIGG meeting is required to discuss MacRoberts feedback, before identifying how to make a clear decision.

Group members were asked to re-review the ‘table of options’ modelling document online and provide further feedback regarding the different modelling options being considered.

It was noted the legal information provided from MacRoberts is complex and difficult to understand. IYS highlighted they are translating the information into a more accessible format for young people to engage with.

The group agreed a further request will be submitted to MacRoberts to provide an accessible version of the information in straightforward language (which is accessible for all, including young people).

Co-Chairs noted there will be an online meeting set up with MacRoberts and AIGG members, to undertake a process of elimination to identify the final Observatory model (Secretariat to attend first part of meeting, before departing).

A visioning document has been drafted and will be sent  to the group in due course.

Next steps – Co-Chairs advised an interim AIGG meeting is to be set up and the Secretariat will be in touch with further details.


  • Secretariat to collate flyer/video feedback from today’s meeting and share with group members and community researchers together via email, requesting group members to provide further feedback directly to the AIGG researchers email address
  • Secretariat to email MacRoberts to request an accessible language version of modelling information response (without complex legal language)
  • group members to re-review ‘table of options’ Observatory modelling document and provide further feedback online via google docs
  • Secretariat to set up a meeting between AIGG and MacRoberts, to undertake a process of Observatory modelling elimination. (Note Secretariat to attend first part of meeting and then depart)
  • Secretariat to send a Doodle poll to group members to ascertain their availability to attend evening meetings, between March and May 2023
  • Co-Chairs to create a calendar of meetings between March and May 2023 and share with Secretariat to issue to group members
  • Secretariat to set up meetings once confirmed in the above calendar
  • Co-Chairs to liaise with community researchers regarding Community Participatory Action Group (CPAG) to request an update to be sent to IYS
  • Secretariat to set up interim AIGG meeting at Co-Chairs request
Back to top