NHS Chief Executives minutes: September 2018
- Health Workforce Directorate
- Part of
- Health and social care
Minutes of the meeting of the NHS Chief Executives on 12 September 2018.
Attendees and apologies
- John Burns, NHS Ayrshire and Arran
- Jane Davidson, NHS Borders
- Jeff Ace, NHS Dumfries and Galloway (Chair)
- Paul Hawkins, NHS Fife
- Graham Foster, Director of Public & Strategic Planning, NHS Forth Valley
- Amanda Croft, Interim Chief Executive, NHS Grampian
- Jane Grant, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
- Deborah Jones, Director of Strategic Commissioning, Planning and Performance, NHS Highland
- Calum Campbell, NHS Lanarkshire
- Tim Davison, NHS Lothian
- Gerry O’Brien, Interim Chief Executive, NHS Orkney (by VC)
- Malcolm Wright, Interim Chief Executive, NHS Tayside
- Gordon Jamieson, NHS Western Isles
- Jill Young Golden, Jubilee Foundation
- Robbie Pearson, Healthcare Improvement Scotland
- Margo McGurk, Director of Finance and Performance, NHS 24
- Caroline Lamb, NHS Education for Scotland
- Gerry McLaughlin, NHS Health Scotland
- Colin Sinclair, NHS National Services Scotland
- Pauline Howie, Scottish Ambulance Service
- Paul Gray, DG Health and Social Care and Chief Executive NHS Scotland
- Christine McLaughlin, Director of Health Finance, Corporate Governance and Value
- Fiona McQueen, Chief Nursing Officer
- Gordon Frame, Director, Scheduled Care Performance and Delivery
- John Froggatt, Head of Improving Health and Wellbeing
- Colin Brown, Office of the Chief Executive NHS Scotland
- Alex McMahon, Chair of SEND
- Gabe Docherty, on behalf of Directors of Public Health
- Susan Goldmsith, on behalf of Diretors of Finance
- Greig Chalmers, Head of Medicines Policy Team, SG
- Robert Kirkwood, Office of the Chief Executive NHS Scotland
- Sarah Hildersley, Office of the Chief Executive NHS Scotland
- David Bedwell, Executive Support for Chief Executives
- Chris Campbell, Executive Support for Chief Executives
- Cathie Cowan, NHS Forth Valley
- Elaine Mead, NHS Highland
- Ralph Roberts, NHS Shetland
- Angiolina Foster, NHS 24
- Jim Crichton, State Hospital
- Tracey Gillies, Co-Chair of Medical Directors/NHS Lothian MD
- Shirley Rogers, Director of Health Workforce, Leadership and Service Transformation
- Jason Leitch, National Clinical Director, Health Quality and Strategy
- Andrew Scott, Director of Population Health
- Alan Hunter, NHS Scotland Director of Performance and Delivery
- Catherine Calderwood, Chief Medical Officer
- Gregor Smith, Deputy Chief Medical Officer
- Michael Chalmers, Director of Children and Families
- Margie Taylor, Chief Dental Officer
- Rose Marie Parr, Chief Pharmaceutical Officer
Items and actions
Welcome, apologies for absence and attendees
1. Paul Gray welcomed everyone to the meeting. A list of attendees and apologies for absence are provided at Annex A.
Minutes of the previous meeting
2. The minutes of the meeting held on 13 June 2018 were approved.
3. There were no matters arising.
Feedback from the Chief Executives private/strategy meeting
4. Jeff Ace, Chair of the NHS Chief Executives Group gave an update on the discussions from the private/strategy meeting, including:
- health and social care in prisons; and
- Health and Care (Staffing) Scotland Bill
5. Paul Gray introduced this item on Performance and invited Christine McLaughlin, Director of Health Finance, Corporate Governance and Value to lead the discussion with Chief Executives.
6. Christine McLaughlin and Gordon Frame attended the private meeting of the Chief Executives Group on Tuesday 11 September to begin discussions on performance with a view to agreeing an achievable plan for submission to the First Minister. Chief Executives were asked to consider overnight what could possibly be done in the first 12 months.
7. Chief Executives recognised that the plan must link to wider planning discussions, particularly workforce. Christine McLaughlin asked for a small group of Chief Executives to liaise with and it was agreed that these would be the Regionalisation Leads (Paul Hawkins, Jane Grant and Malcolm Wright), along with Jill Young and Caroline Lamb from the National Boards.
8. Chief Executives would work with the Scottish Government to finalise the plan over the next week or so. They were also asked to ensure their Chairs were sighted on the plan and include any feedback from them.
Action: CEs to ensure Chairs are sighted on the plan and include feedback from them.
9. Paul Gray had spoken with Jill Young about an operational delivery board. He asked Malcolm Wright to work with Jill to put a governance structure in place to enable monitoring of the plan.
Action: Jill Young to work with Malcolm Wright to set up an Operational Delivery Board.
Proposed changes to the Patient Rights (Treatment Time Guarantee) (Scotland) Directions 2014 – NHSCE/18/19/06
10. Gordon Frame, Director – Scheduled Care Performance and Delivery provided Chief Executives with an overview of the proposed changes to the Patient Rights (Treatment Time Guarantee) (Scotland) Directions 2014 following the Waiting Times Debate on 9 May where the previous Cabinet Secretary gave a commitment to review the directions.
11. It was agreed that there should be a standard approach across NHS Scotland. Chief Executives were asked to put forward 2 or 3 names of colleagues to work up proposals with Gordon Frame. Names should be submitted via David Bedwell to Gordon.
Action: CEs to put forward 2 or 3 names via David Bedwell to work up proposals with Gordon Frame.
Any other business
12. There were no items of other business.
Date and time of next meeting
13. The next NHS Chief Executives Business Meeting will take place on 14 November 2018 at 13:00, in the Fettes Suite, Scottish Health Service Centre, Edinburgh EH4 2LF.
14. The Cabinet for Health and Sport will be attending this meeting.
Office of the Chief Executive for NHSScotland
13 September 2018
An update from St Andrew’s House (NHSCE/18/19/07) was circulated to Chief Executives in advance of the meeting for information.
- File type
- 5 page PDF
- File size
- 240.9 kB
Email: Corporate Business Management Team firstname.lastname@example.org
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback