NHS Chief Executives minutes: March 2019
- Health Workforce Directorate
- Part of
- Health and social care
Minutes of the meeting of the NHS Chief Executives on 13 March 2019.
Attendees and apologies
NHS Board Chief Executives
- John Burns, NHS Ayrshire and Arran
- Jane Davidson, NHS Borders
- Jeff Ace, NHS Dumfries and Galloway (Chair of CEs Group)
- Paul Hawkins, NHS Fife
- Cathie Cowan, NHS Forth Valley
- Amanda Croft, Interim Chief Executive, NHS Grampian
- Jane Grant, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
- Iain Stewart, NHS Highland
- Calum Campbell, NHS Lanarkshire
- Tim Davison, NHS Lothian
- Ralph Roberts, NHS Shetland
- Grant Archibald, NHS Tayside
- Gordon Jamieson, NHS Western Isles
- Jann Gardner, Golden Jubilee Foundation
- Angiolina, Foster NHS 24
- Stewart Irvine, Deputy Chief Executive, NHS Education for Scotland
- Gerry McLaughlin, NHS Health Scotland
- Colin Sinclair, NHS National Services Scotland
- Claire Pearce, Director of Care Quality, Scottish Ambulance Service
- Malcolm Wright, DG Health and Social Care and Chief Executive NHS Scotland
- Jason Leitch, National Clinical Director Scotland
- Richard McCallum, Deputy Director Health Finance and Infrastructure
- Donna Bell, Director of Mental Health
- Catherine Calderwood, Chief Medical Officer Scotland
- Liz Sadler, Head of Health Improvement Division
- Alison Taylor, Head of Integration Division
- Gordon Frame, Head of Scheduled Care Performance and Delivery
- Jane Hamilton, Health Workforce EU Exit Preparations
- James How, Health Workforce EU Exit Preparations (Agenda Item 5)
- Christina Naismith, Head of Integration Implementation (Agenda Item 7)
- Kate Arrow, Scottish Clinical Leadership Fellow (observer)
- Alex Rice, Scottish Clinical Leadership Fellow (observer)
- Kirsty Woolley, Scottish Clinical Leadership Fellow (observer)
- Elizabeth Crighton, Scottish Clinical Leadership Fellow (observer)
- Robert Kirkwood, Head of Corporate Business Management Team
- Laurie Whyte, Corporate Business Management Team (Secretariat)
- Sarah Hildersley, Corporate Business Management Team (Secretariat)
- David Bedwell, NHS Scotland Executive Support
- Gerry O’Brien, NHS Orkney
- Caroline Lamb, NHS Education for Scotland
- Robbie Pearson, Healthcare Improvement Scotland
- Pauline Howie, Scottish Ambulance Service (Vice Chair of CEs Group)
- Jim Crichton, State Hospital
- Tracy Gillies, Co-Chair of Medical Directors
- Alex McMahon, Chair of SEND
- Shirley Rogers, Chief People Officer NHS Scotland and Director of Workforce, Leadership, Reform and EU Exit Preparations
- John Connaghan, Chief Performance Officer NHS Scotland and Director of Delivery and Resilience
- Christine McLaughlin, Chief Finance Officer NHS Scotland and Director of Health Finance, Corporate Governance and Value
- Fiona McQueen, Chief Nursing Officer Scotland
- Michael Chalmers, Director of Children and Families
- Gregor Smith, Deputy Chief Medical Officer
- Tom Ferris, Interim Chief Dental Officer
- Colin Brown, Head of Office of Chief Executive NHS Scotland
Items and actions
Welcome, apologies for absence and attendees
1. Malcolm Wright, Director General Health and Social Care/Chief Executive NHS Scotland welcomed everyone to the meeting. A list of attendees and apologies for absence are provided at Annex A.
2. Jann Gardner, Chief Executive, Golden Jubilee Foundation, and Iain Stewart, Chief Executive, NHS Highland were welcomed to their first meeting since taking up their posts in January 2019.
3. He congratulated Ralph Roberts who takes over from Jane Davidson the current Chief Executive of NHS Borders, in April 2019. He thanked Jane Davidson for her time in post.
4. Thanks was paid to Jim Crichton in absentia for his time in post as Chief Executive of the State Hospitals Board for Scotland. Gary Jenkins takes over from Jim on 1 April 2019.
Minutes of the previous meeting
5. The minutes of the meeting held on 16 January 2019 were approved.
Malcolm Wright shared his thoughts on his role since taking up post. These covered:
- the Cabinet Secretary’s priorities
- refocussing the Business Meetings with a more strategic focus
- continued engagement between Chairs and Chief Executives, and including Local Authority colleagues
- providing opportunities for 1 to 1 meetings with Chief Executives
Feedback from the Chief Executives' private/strategy meeting
7. Jeff Ace, Chair of the NHS Chief Executives Group gave an update on the discussions from the private/strategy meeting, including:
- regional working
8. Malcolm Wright thanked Jeff Ace for his Chairmanship of the NHS Chief Executives Group over the last couple of years and welcomed Pauline Howie in absentia to the role, with Paul Hawkins taking over the role as Vice-Chair from Pauline.
EU withdrawal: NHSCE/18/19/13
9. Jane Hamilton, EU Exit Preparations Team introduced the item and gave an update to Chief Executives in relation to operational readiness. James How, EU Exit Preparations Team then provided further information in relation to operational readiness; sharing intelligence; workforce; procurement; communications; transport; supplies of consumables; medicines; professional qualifications; reciprocal healthcare; and EU Settlement Scheme.
10. NHS 24 have agreed to be a national source of sharing information with the public and welcomed further communication in relation to this and receiving suitable content.
Action: Jane Hamilton: liaise with Scottish Government colleagues to ensure that NHS 24 are involved in the creation of the information to be shared and that content is suitable.
11. Colleagues were advised that Jeane Freeman MSP, Cabinet Secretary for Health and Sport had laid legislation in Parliament on 12 March relating to the reciprocal healthcare arrangement.
Health and Social Care integration update: NHSCE/18/19/14
12. Alison Taylor, Head of Integration Division introduced the item and gave an update to Chief Executives on progress following the MSG Review and work going forward.
13. Christina Naismith updated Chief Executives on the Delivery Plan which will be shared with Chief Executives to enable further discussions. All Health Boards have been asked to complete a self-evaluation which will be circulated shortly. This should be a co-ordinated return from the local system. Instructions for completion will be outlined clearly in the covering communication.
14. Malcolm Wright shared some experience on lessons learned from his time in NHS Grampian and proposed a learning event between Chief Executives, Local Authority Chief Executives, SOLACE, COSLA and Directors of Finance be convened at one of the Chief Executives Private Meetings. The purpose would be to share examples of good practice.
Action: Executive Support: Learning Event between Chief Executives, Local Authority Chief Executives, SOLACE, COSLA and Directors of Finance be convened using a future Chief Executives Private Meeting
Action: Secretariat: Integration to be brought back to the next meeting
15. Richard McCallum, Deputy Director Health Finance and Infrastructure gave an update to Chief Executives about the financial outlook for 2019-20. Joint Finance and Performance meetings with individual Boards to discuss Annual Operational Plans in more detail will take place from late March onwards.
16. Gordon Frame, Head of Scheduled Care Performance and Delivery gave Chief Executives an update on the latest performance, trajectories and milestones for 2019-20. Annual Operational Plans will be key to understanding Boards’ aims to deliver agreed trajectories and milestones.
Any other business
17. A paper on Action 2 of the Suicide Prevent Action Plan – refreshed mental health and suicide prevention training (NHSCE/18/19/17) was circulated to Chief Executives asking for consideration to be given as to how this new training will be rolled out.
Date and time of next meeting
18. The next NHS Chief Executives Business Meeting will take place on 8 May 2019 at 13:00, in the Fettes Suite, Scottish Health Service Centre, Edinburgh EH4 2LF.
18. An update from St Andrew’s House (NHSCE/18/19/18) was circulated to Chief Executives in advance of the meeting sharing information from across Health and Social Care Directorates.
19. This paper is now going to be circulated routinely to NHS Boards via Board Secretaries to share with Non-Executive Director colleagues and others for information.
Office of the Chief Executive for NHS Scotland
20 March 2019
- File type
- 6 page PDF
- File size
- 244.3 kB
Corporate Business Management Team: email@example.com
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback