- 16 Oct 2018
Attendees and apologies
- John Burns NHS Ayrshire and Arran (from 14:30)
- Jeff Ace (Chair) NHS Dumfries and Galloway
- Jane Davidson NHS Borders
- Paul Hawkins NHS Fife
- Amanda Croft Interim CE, NHS Grampian
- Jane Grant NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
- Heather Know Deputy Chief Executive, NHS Lanarkshire
- Calum Campbell NHS Lanarkshire (from 14:30)
- Jim Crombie Interim CE, NHS Lothian
- Gerry O’Brien NHS Orkney (by VC)
- Ralph Roberts NHS Shetland (by VC)
- Andrew Russell NHS Tayside, Medical Director (by VC)
- Gordon Jamieson NHS Western Isles (by VC)
- Ann Gow Healthcare Improvement Scotland, Director of Nursing, Midwifery and AHPs
- Angiolina Foster NHS 24
- Caroline Lamb NHS Education for Scotland
- Gerry McLaughlin NHS Health Scotland
- Mary Morgan Director, SNBTS
- Pauline Howie Scottish Ambulance Service
- Jim Crichton State Hospital
- Paul Gray DG Health and Social Care and Chief Executive NHSScotland
- Shirley Rogers Director of Health Workforce and Strategic Change
- Christine McLaughlin Director of Health Finance
- Geoff Huggins Director of Health and Social Care Integration and Digital
- Alan Hunter NHS Scotland Director of Performance and Delivery
- Gregor Smith Deputy Chief Medical Officer (from 14:00)
- Margie Taylor Chief Dental Officer
- Ann Holmes Chief Midwifery Advisor and Associate Nursing Officer
- Colin Brown Office of the Chief Executive NHS Scotland
- Alex McMahon Chair of SEND
- Andrew Fraser Chair of Directors of Public Health
- Vikki Milne National Planning Team Leader, Scottish Government
- Cat Harley Scottish Clinical Leadership Fellow
- Katy Vlitos Scottish Clinical Leadership Fellow
Agenda Item 5 – EU Withdrawal Update
- James How EU Withdrawal, Workforce and Strategic Change Directorate
- Jane Hamilton Head of Business Management, Workforce and Strategic Change Directorate
Agenda Item 6 – Leadership and Talent Management – Project Lift Update
- David Garbutt Chair, NHS Education for Scotland
- Dave Caesar National Clinical Adviser Secondary Care to CMO
- Gwen Nicholson Head of Leadership and Talent Management, Health and Social Care Directorates
- Laurie Whyte Office of the Chief Executive NHS Scotland
- Sarah Hildersley Office of the Chief Executive NHS Scotland
- David Bedwell Executive Support for Chief Executives
- Chris Campbell Executive Support for Chief Executives
- Cathie Cowan NHS Forth Valley
- Tim Davison NHS Lothian
- Malcolm Wright NHS Tayside
- Jill Young Golden Jubilee Foundation
- Robbie Pearson Healthcare Improvement Scotland
- Colin Sinclair NHS National Services Scotland
- Tracey Gillies Co-Chair of Medical Directors/NHS Lothian MD
- Jason Leitch National Clinical Director, Health Quality and Strategy
- Andrew Scott Director of Population Health
- Catherine Calderwood Chief Medical Officer
- Fiona McQueen Chief Nursing Officer
- Michael Chalmers Director of Children and Families
- Rose Marie Parr Chief Pharmaceutical Officer
Items and actions
Welcome, apologies for absence and attendees
1. Paul Gray welcomed everyone to the meeting. A list of attendees and apologies for absence are provided at Annex A.
Minutes of the previous meeting
2. The minutes of the meeting held on 9 May 2018 were approved.
3. Paul Gray raised the issue of responding to Ministerial requests and the appropriate timescale to do so.
Feedback from the Chief Executives' private/strategy meeting
4. Jeff Ace, Chair of the NHS Chief Executives Group gave an update on the discussions from the private/strategy meeting, including:
- Pay deal
- Health Visitors re-banding
- Human trafficking
- Digital transformation
- Review of Integration
EU Withdrawal Update – NHSCE/18/19/03
5. Shirley Rogers, Director of Health Workforce and Strategic Change, updated Chief Executives on work that is being undertaken by the Health and Social Care Directorates’ EU Withdrawal Team, led by James How.
6. Directorates across the Scottish Government are engaged in an on-going process both to analyse potential EU impacts on their Directorate’s areas of responsibility and to assess their state of readiness for EU withdrawal. EU withdrawal is now a standing item on both Health and Social Care Directorates Management and Assurance Boards.
7. There was a discussion about how NHS Board Chief Executives could best support and lead their organisations and staff in their efforts to respond to the potential impacts of EU withdrawal. Shirley Rogers emphasised the importance of ensuring that the current EU workforce feel welcomed and valued during this uncertain time.
8. The SG ‘preparedness tool’ will be shared with NHS Board Chief Executives by the end of June 2018, for them to carry out assessments of their own Boards and will be revisited after summer. Responses will then be used to create a dialogue around mitigating risks and will be a standing item on their agenda until the end of the financial year.
9. Paul Gray thanked colleagues for the update. The Chief Executives Group agreed to discuss this further at a future development session to provide a collective response. Shirley Rogers offered to attend the development session when arranged and also offered monthly written updates to the Chief Executives going forward in the meantime.
Leadership and Talent Management – Project Lift update – NHSCE/18/19/04
10. Shirley Rogers introduced this update item. Project Lift is the culmination of three years of work bringing a total package together around leadership and talent management, with resources all in the one place. She reflected on the success of the second leadership event on 30 May – Compassionate and Collective Leadership – which brought Chief Executives and aspiring leaders together from across NHS Boards.
11. Chief Executives raised the number of people being recruited to the programme (20 people a year). The Project Lift Team assured the Group that links are being made into other public services and the collective leadership work and that they are not just concentrating on 20 people a year. Links into other areas currently delivered at a local level are also being looked into to make connections.
12. The Chief Executives Group strongly supported and endorsed Project Lift and were happy to help in any way they can.
Any other business
13. Paul Gray raised his recent letter to Chief Executives in relation to Cancer Waiting Times.
14. Colin Brown reminded colleagues about the 70th Anniversary celebrations and advised that NHS Boards would be receiving an invitation to the event at the Museum on 5 July. They were asked to think carefully about attendance and respond as soon as possible.
Date and time of next meeting
15. The next NHS Chief Executives Business Meeting will take place on 12 September 2018 at 13:00, in the Fettes Suite, Scottish Health Service Centre, Edinburgh EH4 2LF.
Office of the Chief Executive for NHSScotland
15 June 2018
An Update from St Andrew’s House (NHSCE/18/19/05) was circulated to Chief Executives in advance of the meeting for information.
- File type
- 5 page PDF
- 247.8 kB
Email: Corporate Business Management Team email@example.com