- 8 Mar 2018
Attendees and apologies
- John Burns NHS Ayrshire and Arran
- Jane Davidson NHS Borders
- Jeff Ace (Chair) NHS Dumfries and Galloway
- Paul Hawkins NHS Fife
- Malcolm Wright NHS Grampian
- Jane Grant NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
- Calum Campbell NHS Lanarkshire
- Ralph Roberts NHS Shetland (by VC)
- Lesley McLay NHS Tayside (by VC)
- Jill Young Golden Jubilee Foundation
- Robbie Pearson Healthcare Improvement Scotland
- Angiolina Foster NHS 24 (by TC)
- Caroline Lamb NHS Education for Scotland
- Gerry McLaughlin NHS Health Scotland (by TC)
- Colin Sinclair NHS National Services Scotland
- Pauline Howie Scottish Ambulance Service (by VC)
- Jim Crichton State Hospital
- Paul Gray DG Health and Social Care and Chief Executive NHSScotland
- Christine McLaughlin Director of Health Finance
- Andrew Scott Director of Population Health
- Geoff Huggins Director of Health and Social Care Integration and Digital
- Catherine Calderwood Chief Medical Officer
- Fiona McQueen Chief Nursing Officer
- Alan Hunter NHS Scotland Director of Performance and Delivery
- Michael Chalmers Director of Children and Families
- Margie Taylor Chief Dental Officer
- Craig White Divisional Clinical Lead
- Colin Brown Office of the Chief Executive NHS Scotland
- Tim Davison NHS Lothian
- Gerry O’Brien NHS Orkney
- Gordon Jamieson NHS Western Isles
- Alex McMahon Chair of SEND
- Shirley Rogers Director of Health Workforce and Strategic Change
- Jason Leitch National Clinical Director, Health Quality and Strategy
- Gregor Smith Deputy Chief Medical Officer
- Rose Marie Parr Chief Pharmaceutical Officer
- Paul Gray Praesta
- Iain Wallace Co-Chair of Medical Directors
- Andrew Fraser Chair of Directors of Public Health
- Susan Goldsmith Director of Finance, NHS Lothian
- Richard McCallum Deputy Director of Health Finance and Infrastructure
- Annamarie Horne Scottish Clinical Leadership Fellow
- Alistair Geraghty Scottish Clinical Leadership Fellow
- Laurie Whyte Office of the Chief Executive NHS Scotland
- Sarah Hildersley Office of the Chief Executive NHS Scotland
- David Bedwell Executive Support for Chief Executives
- Chris Campbell Executive Support for Chief Executives
Items and actions
Welcome, Apologies for Absence and Attendees
1. Jeff Ace welcomed everyone to the meeting and advised that Christine McLaughlin would speak to Item 5 – Finance first.
2. Paul Gray, CNO, Colin Brown, Alan Hunter and Paul Gray from Praesta joined the meeting at 13:30.
Minutes of the previous meeting
3. The minutes of the meeting held on 8 November 2017 were approved.
4. Paul Gray asked the Group to reflect on their experiences over the recent winter period and thanked colleagues for maintaining a high standard of work under exceptional circumstances.
5. Chief Executives reflected that staff had reacted and responded well and were encouraged by the resilience of the system despite the challenges faced.
6. Moving forward careful consideration should be given to the implications of the new safe staffing legislation with regards to exceptional circumstances. Thresholds relating to admissions, discharges and staffing should be reviewed to see what can be learned from what worked this winter.
Feedback from the Chief Executives' private meeting
7. Jeff Ace, Chair of the NHS Chief Executives Group gave an update on the discussions from the private meeting, including:
- Forensic Services
- National Specialist Services Committee (NSSC)
- CHI Programme Update
- National and Regional Planning
- Health and Justice Collaboration
- NHS 70th Anniversary
8. Christine McLaughlin spoke to colleagues about the development of a new Financial Framework which will underpin how services will be transformed as set out in the Health and Social Care Delivery Plan.
9. The Chief Executives Group welcomed the update on the new framework and agreed to work with Finance colleagues over the next couple of months, ahead of publication of the Financial Framework in the spring.
Action: Christine McLaughlin to engage with Colleagues
10. Paul Gray deferred the discussion on Performance by Alan Hunter.
11. He requested that Alan Hunter convene a conference call to discuss performance with required parties.
Action: Alan Hunter to convene conference call on Performance
Any other business
12. There were no items of other business.
Date and time of next meeting
13. The next NHS Chief Executives Business Meeting will take place on 7 March 2018 at 13:00, in the Fettes Suite, Scottish Health Service Centre, Edinburgh EH4 2LF.
Office of the Chief Executive for NHSScotland
Email: Corporate Business Management Team firstname.lastname@example.org