Attendees and apologies
- Aileen Campbell Minister for Public Health and Sport
Health Board Chairs
- Martin Cheyne NHS Ayrshire and Arran
- John Raine NHS Borders
- Tricia Marwick NHS Fife
- Alex Linkston NHS Forth Valley
- Stephen Logan NHS Grampian
- John Brown NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde/NHS Tayside
- David Alston NHS Highland
- Neena Mahal NHS Lanarkshire
- Brian Houston NHS Lothian
- Ian Kinniburgh NHS Orkney and Shetland
- Neil Galbraith NHS Western Isles
- Susan Douglas-Scott Golden Jubilee Foundation
- Hamish Wilson Healthcare Improvement Scotland (Vice-Chair)
- David Garbutt NHS Education for Scotland/Scottish Ambulance Service
- David Crichton NHS Health Scotland
- Elizabeth Ireland NHS National Services Scotland
- Esther Roberton NHS 24
- Terry Currie State Hospital
- Tom Steele Scottish Ambulance Service (from 1 June 2018)
- Paul Edie Care Inspectorate
- Pam Whittle Scottish Health Council
Scottish Government Officials
- Paul Gray Director General for Health and Social Care for the Scottish
- Government and Chief Executive of NHS Scotland
- Shirley Rogers Director of Health Workforce and Strategic Change
- Jason Leitch National Clinical Director
- Christine McLaughlin Director of Health Finance
- Alan Hunter Director of Performance and Delivery
- Alison Taylor Head of Integration Division
- Gregor Smith Deputy Chief Medical Officer
- Fiona McQueen Chief Nursing Officer
- Colin Brown Head of the Office of the Chief Executive NHS Scotland
- Robert Kirkwood Office of the Chief Executive NHS Scotland
- Laurie Whyte Office of the Chief Executive NHS Scotland
- Emma Cameron APS/Minister for Public Health and Sport
- David Bedwell NHS Scotland Executive Support
- Matthew Neilson Senior Professional Advisor Scottish Clinical Leadership
- Catriona Ingram Scottish Clinical Leadership Fellow
- Julie Burgess Non-Executive Director, NHS National Services Scotland
- Shona Robison Cabinet Secretary for Health and Sport
- Maureen Watt Minister for Mental Health
- Phil Jones NHS Dumfries and Galloway
- Denise Coia Healthcare Improvement Scotland (Chair of NHS Chairs
- Catherine Calderwood Chief Medical Officer
- Andrew Scott Director of Population Health Improvement
- Geoff Huggins Director of Health and Social Care Integration/Director of
- Digital Health and Social Care
- Michael Chalmers Director of Children and Families
Items and actions
1. A list of those present and apologies is provided at Annex A.
2. The Minister for Public Health and Sport confirmed that she would be chairing the meeting on behalf of the Cabinet Secretary. She congratulated David Garbutt, Chair of NHS Education for Scotland, Susan Douglas-Scott, Chair, Golden Jubilee Foundation, and Tom Steele, Chair, Scottish Ambulance Service (as of 1 June 2018), on their recent appointments.
Minutes of the previous meeting
3. The minutes of the meeting held on 29 January 2018 were approved.
4. There were no matters arising.
5. The Minister for Public Health and Sport highlighted the following areas for the attention of NHS Board Chairs:
- Public Health Priorities
- GP Contract
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health
Feedback from Chairs' private meeting
6. David Garbutt, Vice-Chair of the NHS Board Chairs Group shared the key themes which arose following discussions from their private meeting, including:
- Governance of the Transformation Agenda
- Ladder of Escalation
- Homelessness and Health
- Board Governance
- Financial Framework
7. The Minister for Public Health and Sport welcomed the work that NHS Health Scotland is taking forward to improve health services for the homeless. She encouraged Chairs to think about how homelessness relates to the wider public health agenda.
8. David Garbutt summarised proposals to reform the NHS Board Chairs’ Quality Portfolio Group to focus on Board Leadership and Governance. The group would continue to focus on leadership, training and development for Boards, but will also have a sub-group to oversee the review of governance, which will be chaired by John Brown, Chair, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde/NHS Tayside.
9. Paul Gray, Director General Health and Social Care/Chief Executive NHS
Scotland invited Chairs to submit a paper outlining their proposals with a view of implementing the new arrangements for return after summer recess.
10. Shirley Rogers, Director of Health Workforce and Strategic Change, updated Chairs on work that is being undertaken by the Health and Social Care Directorates’ EU Withdrawal Team, led by James How.
11. Directorates across the Scottish Government are engaged in an on-going process both to analyse potential EU impacts on their Directorate’s areas of responsibility and to assess their state of readiness for EU withdrawal. EU withdrawal is now a standing item on both Health and Social Care Directorates Management and Assurance Boards.
12. There was a discussion about how NHS Board Chairs could best support and lead their organisations and staff in their efforts to respond to the potential impacts of EU withdrawal. Shirley Rogers emphasised the importance of ensuring that the current EU workforce feel welcomed and valued during this uncertain time.
13. NHS Board Chief Executives will be given ‘preparedness templates’ at their next meeting on the 16 June 2018, for them to carry out assessments of their own Boards and will be revisited after summer. Responses will then be used to create a dialogue around mitigating risks and will be a standing item on their agenda until the end of the financial year.
Any other business
14. No additional items were proposed.
Date and time of next meeting
15. The next NHS Chairs meeting will be on Monday 27 August 2018 at 13:00 in the Scottish Health Service Centre, Edinburgh.
Office of the Chief Executive for NHSScotland
NHS Chairs minutes - May 2018
- File type
- 5 page PDF
- File size
- 238.4 kB
Email: Corporate Business Management Team email@example.com
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback