- 7 Nov 2019
As part of the Mental Health Strategy 2017-2027, we committed to provide funding to support the employment of 800 additional mental health workers to improve access in key settings such as Accident and Emergency departments, GP practices, police station custody suites and prisons. The detail is set out in Action 15 of the Mental Health Strategy.
"Increase the workforce to increase access to dedicated mental health professionals in all A&Es, all GP practices, every police station custody suite, and to our prisons. Over the next five years increasing additional investment to £35 million for 800 additional mental health workers in those key settings."
Additional funding has been provided to local services to invest in an additional 800 mental health workers working in a variety of settings (including accident and emergency departments, GP practices, police custody suites and prison services) by 2021/22.
Quarterly performance updates for action 15 of the Mental Health Strategy which confirms the number of (Whole Time Equivalent) mental health workers in post, as of 1 January 2020.
Quarterly performance updates for action 15 of the Mental Health Strategy which confirms the number of (Whole Time Equivalent) mental health workers in post, as of 1 January 2020
Action 15: setting
Other settings (these are mostly via the third sector e.g peer/support workers)
|2019-2020 - Q1||11.29||0.30||32.28*||6.10||30.98*||80.95|
|2019-2020 - Q2||9.20||4.00||20.50||6.61||19.05||59.36|
|2019-2020 – Q3||16.49||1.24||6.15||3.00||22.20||49.08|
|Total for 2019/2020||189.39|
|Total WTE in post so far||375.02|
* Indicates amended figures to take account of the Scottish Borders position re the recording of people in post rather than the number of Whole Time Equivalent posts recruited to.
Please note that all figures have been rounded to nearest 1/100th of a point for accuracy.
- all 31 Integration Authorities provided detailed data on their confirmed and planned workers to the Scottish Government.
- as of 1 January 2020, an additional 375 WTE mental health workers were resourced as a result of Action 15 funding.
- the next quarterly update will be published in May 2020
- [i] ‘other settings’ include third sector organisations
Adult Mental Health Division
3ER St Andrews House