The Inquiries Into Fatal Accidents And Sudden Deaths Etc. (Scotland) Act 2016 – Reporting Requirement
Scottish Ministers are required under section 29 of the Inquiries into Fatal Accidents and Sudden Deaths etc. (Scotland) Act 2016 to report on inquiries that concluded in the previous financial year.
The statistics for the period 15 June 2017 (commencement date of the 2016 Act) to 31 March 2018 for Fatal Accident Inquiries under the 2016 Act are as follows:
- Number of FAIs that ended during the year: 12
- Number in which recommendations requiring a response were made: 1
- Number of such recommendations made: 2
- Number of such recommendations in relation which a response was received by SCTS under section 281): 2 (1 response covering the 2 recommendations)
- Number of such recommendations in relation to which a notice was published by SCTS under section 28(7) (signalling that no response was received): none
* It should be noted that due to transitional arrangements the number of inquiries held under the 2016 Act is relatively low. The majority of inquiries are still being held under previous legislation as they were initiated under the Fatal Accidents and Sudden Deaths Inquiry (Scotland) Act 1976.
All 2016 Act determinations, recommendations and responses are accessible from the Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service web portal at:
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback