Glasgow City council land ownership: FOI release

Information request and response under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002.

Information requested

  1. How did a group of people (Glasgow city council) obtain the land where the car spaces are in Glasgow?
  2. How can any individual or group of individuals state that they own a part of land if all land is gods land? 
  3. What date did Glasgow city council start enforcing parking tickets and why did they start doing this into the people of Glasgow?
  4. How are the car spaces paid for where Glasgow city council enforced parking tickets?
  5. Do the people of Glasgow/Scotland pay for these spaces via tax in any form?
  6. If you can't afford to pay for a ticket and think its unlawful under gods law and refuse to pay what will happen?


Please see below the answer questions 3 and 6.

Question 3

Glasgow City Council received their Decriminalised Parking Enforcement (DPE) powers in 1999.

Question 6

If you disagree with the issuing of the Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) from Glasgow City Council you may wish to complain directly to the Council via their complaints procedure which can be accessed on their website at: Complaints - Glasgow City Council. If you remain dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you may have recourse to the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (tel: 0800 377 7330) who may examine the case. Further details on how to complain to the SPSO can be found on their website at

While our aim is to provide information whenever possible, in this instance the Scottish Government does not have some of the information you have requested. The reason why we don't have the information is because parking enforcement within the Glasgow area is decriminalised and therefore managed by Glasgow City Council. Neither the Scottish Ministers nor the Scottish Government would become directly involved in their day-to-day duties.

About FOI

The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at


Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000

The Scottish Government
St Andrews House
Regent Road

Back to top