With regards to the removal of non-residential social care charging, you asked for information regarding:
- why the plan for implementation as set out in the timetable for April 2023 implementation has not been met
- what the current status of the timetable for implementation is
- what current work is being undertaken towards implementation within the Scottish Government
- whether legislation is required in order for implementation to happen.
- latest status on short-life working group and what were the outcomes from its work or deliberations.
While our aim is to provide information whenever possible, in this instance the Scottish Government does not have some of the information you have requested. The reasons why we don’t have the information are explained in the Annex to this response.
Outwith the FOISA request, I can provide you with the following information:
1. The original timetable for April 2023 implementation was not met due to the challenging financial pressures within the Scottish Budget. However the Scottish Government remains committed to supporting people who pay towards their social care support as shown by the recommitment in this year’s Programme for Government.
2. The current status of the timetable for implementation, as set out in the Programme for Government, states that the Scottish Government is committed to working with COSLA, to explore and agree an approach with Local Government, to end non-residential social care support charges within the lifetime of this Parliament.
3. This work is ongoing and Scottish Government is currently undertaking work with COSLA and Local Authorities to ensure we have robust financial information on the cost of the commitment, including any increase of demand for social care.
4. As set out in response 202300381544, an exemption under section 36(1) of FOISA (confidentiality in legal proceedings) applies to some of the information requested because it is legal advice and disclosure would breach legal professional privilege. Further information is provided in the Annex to this letter.
5. The short-life working group continues to meet and is carrying out work to refine estimated costs and the scope of the policy. This is an ongoing piece of work.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses.
- File type
- 1 page PDF
- File size
- 76.2 kB
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrews House
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback