Correspondence relating to ear thermometers: FOI release
- Children and Families Directorate
Information request and response under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002
“My request follows a previous FOI response (202100258087) on correspondence relating to ear thermometers previously included in Baby Boxes, and the decision to replace them last year.
1. In the e-mail, copied below, which was sent to the Minister for Children and Young People on February 15, 2021, the second sentence says "(as highlighted in our submission to you on 26 May 2020)". I wish to request a copy of that submission, a copy of the minister's response, and an explanation as to why it was not included in the documents released as part of the previous FOI request, 202100258087.
2. The same email states, in the fourth paragraph, that "...the advice was to replace the digital ear thermometer with a digital under-arm thermometer when the stocks run out.." Please provide copies of any advice that said the ear thermometer should only be replaced when stocks run out.
3. I also request a copy of any response sent by the minister, or sent on her behalf, to the e-mail of 15 February 2021, copied below.
4. A different e-mail, dated July 12, 2021, and pasted below from the previous FOI response, suggests the change from an ear thermometer to an under-arm thermometer was initially due to take place in February 2022 but this was brought forward due to a supply issue caused by the pandemic. Is this true?”
Question 1 – A submission was sent to the Minister for Children and Young People on 26 May 2020 which was titled SCOTLAND’S BABY BOX – EXTENSION OF CONTRACT– COST IMPLICATIONS FOR 2021/22. We do not hold the Ministers response to the submission of 26 May 2020. As the title did not include the term “thermometer”, it was not identified in the search for the previous FOI request ((202100258087). However, the submission included some information on digital thermometers. I have provided a copy of the submission with some redactions.
A small amount of information has been withheld under Section 38(1)(b) of FOISA (personal information). An exemption under Section 30(b)(i) of FOISA (free and frank provision of advice) also applies to some of the information. Please see Annex A which details the reasons for the use of these exemptions.
Question 2 – While our aim is to provide information whenever possible, in this instance the Scottish Government does not have the information you have requested. This is because we do not have any further written record of the advice referred to, other than what is reflected in the documents previously released. Officials had a number of discussions which took place via phone call over this time period.
This is a formal notice under section 17(1) of FOISA that the Scottish Government does not have all of the information you have requested.
Question 3 – While our aim is to provide information whenever possible, in this instance the Scottish Government does not have the information you have requested. This is a formal notice under section 17(1) of FOISA that the Scottish Government does not have the information you have requested.
Question 4 – Yes this is true, please see attached submission which details the supply issues.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses.
- File type
- 1 page PDF
- File size
- 84.3 kB
- File type
- 5 page PDF
- File size
- 142.3 kB
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrews House
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback