1. What target for reliable operation is being set for any new vessels on the crossing e.g. in comparison with the former Streaker Service which was the baseline for the MVA report.
2. Will any penalties be applied for failure to meet reliability targets due to weather conditions.
3. What modelling was carried out, when, by whom and what were the results.
1. The Gourock Dunoon Kilcreggan Infrastructure and Vessels Programme Working Group is designing new vessels and infrastructure for both the Gourock to Dunoon and Gourock to Kilcreggan ferry services. The new build vessels and associated infrastructure improvements will ensure that the passenger service is reliable. Vessel design considerations are underway and the reliability of vessel operations is an integral factor.
Following conclusion of this design work, public engagement events will be held later this summer.
Updates on the programme are available on Caledonian Maritime Assets Limited’s (CMAL) website at the attached link.
It may be useful for you to review and consider the information provided in the Gourock Masterplan and Dunoon Concept Vessel Reference Group Q&A document. This document provides further detail on the general considerations, vessel design and Gourock Port Masterplan.
2. There will be no penalties applied for failure to meet reliability targets due to weather conditions when it is unsafe to operate.
Performance deductions on subsidised ferry services are not applied for weather related punctuality or reliably failures as this is out with the control of the operator. Scottish Ministers regard safe operation of the services as paramount. Certain relief events allow the operator dispensation, reflecting events that are not within the operator’s control. The main relief events relate to weather disruption, and reflect Maritime Law, which states that that responsibility on whether or not to sail rests solely with the vessel’s Master, who is responsible for safety, and that their decision may not be challenged by anyone.
Schedule 15 of the current Clyde and Hebrides Ferry Service contract for the provision of ferry services contains fuller information relating to performance related penalties. chfs2-pt3-schedules-11-17.pdf (transport.gov.scot)
3. As part of the design process, modelling has been undertaken by the design consultants, working alongside Caledonian Maritime Assets Limited (CMAL). Modelling responsibility lies with Argyll and Bute Council for the Dunoon and Kilcreggan elements of the programme and with CMAL for Gourock and vessel design.
While our aim is to provide information whenever possible, in this instance we are unable to provide some of the information you have requested because an exception under regulation 10(4)(a) of the EIRs apply to that information. The reason why this exception applies is explained in Annex A.
An exception under regulation; 10(4)(a) – Information not held of the EIRs apply to some of the information you have requested. This relates to part 3 of your request and it is documented within the response which authority holds the information.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses.
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrews House
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback