Estimated value of the contents of a baby box: FOI release
- Children and Families Directorate
- Part of
- Children and families, Public sector
Information request and response under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002
1. A full list of the items contained in a baby box.
2. The actual or estimated (within reasonable margin of error) value of each item.
If this information is not available or cannot be disclosed, please supply me with the following:
3. The total actual or estimated (within a reasonable margin of error) value of the contents of a baby box.
The government disclosed that the total number of baby boxes supplied in the period from 1 April 2018 up until 31 March 2019 was 48,647, and the total cost of the initiative over the same period was £8,704,115.39.
4. Please give me the full cost over the same period of procurement/purchasing of the contents of the boxes (not including the cost of the box itself)
1. Newborn items:
Long-sleeved side-buttoning vest
0-3 month items:
Long-sleeved daysuit (no feet)
3-6 month items:
Fleece jacket with hood
Mattress (with 2 x fitted sheets)
Hooded bath towel
Digital under arm thermometer
Travel changing mat
Teething ring soother
Baby book x 2
Bath and room thermometer
Muslin cloth squares
Disposable nursing pads
Transport Scotland Road Safety Buggy Book
Reusable Nappy Voucher
2. We are unable to give you a breakdown of this figure as exemption s.33(1)(b) Commercial interests applies. The reasons why that exemption applies are explained in the Annex.
3. The value of the contract for the delivery of Scotland’s Baby Box is approximately £8.8 million per year, with the average value per box (including contents) equating to approximately £160.
4. We are unable to give you a breakdown of this figure as we do not hold this data. While our aim is to provide information whenever possible, in this instance the Scottish Government does not have the information you have requested. The reasons why that exemption(s) applies are explained in the Annex.
REASONS FOR NOT PROVIDING INFORMATION
An exemption under section s.30(b)(i) Commercial Interests of FOISA applies to some of the information you have requested.
We appointed a Baby Box managing agent, APS Group (Scotland) who have responsibility for sourcing the boxes and all the contents, storage, picking, packing and distribution. APS Group (Scotland) would consider the breakdown of costs to be commercial in confidence.
The Scottish Government does not have all of the information you have asked for in relation to the cost of delivery of Baby Boxes. The Scottish Government appointed APS Group (Scotland) as our management agent for Scotland’s Baby Box initiative. As our Managing Agent APS are responsible for managing the contract for the purchasing of Baby Boxes and contents.
This is a formal notice under section 17(1) of FOISA that the Scottish Government does not have all of the information you have requested.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses.
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrews House
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback