1. In total, how many women from the Eastern European Minority (Poland, Czech Republic, Romania, Slovakia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Lithuania, Latvia or Estonia) are in prisons in Scotland? In which prisons?
2. How many of them are there with sentences of less than 4 years not subject to statutory supervision?
3. How many of them are being held on remand?
In answer to your request, we have provided you with the information you requested. These responses are based on an extract from the SPS Prisoner Records system (PR2).
Ethnicity information collected by the SPS follows the conventions of the Scottish census, which does not provide for the detailed categorisation requested. However, the nationality of prisoners is also collected, and provides sufficient detail to identify the requested groups.
1) There were 5 women of the Eastern European nationalities listed at the time of the extract: 3 in HMPYOI Polmont and one each in HMPs Edinburgh and Grampian.
2) 4 had a convicted status, of which 2 had an overall sentence length of 4 years or more.
3) One of the women was on remand.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses.
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrews House
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback