- 9 Apr 2020
Date received: 12 Mar 2020
Date responded: 8 Apr 2020
- the document setting out the formal appraisal process for NHS board chairs;
- a blank appraisal form used for conducting the appraisal process of NHS board chairs;
- the number of formal face to face appraisals conducted with the chairs of territorial health boards (excluding special boards) by members of the Scottish government health directorate (not health board staff) in the following years:
- 2015; 2016; 2017; 2018 and 2019;
- the number of formal face to face appraisals conducted with the chair of the Golden Jubilee National Hospital board by members of the Scottish Government Health Directorate (not health board staff) between 2011 and the end of 2015 and 2016 and 2020.
In response to the first 2 bullet points above from your request, I attach separately in pdf format a copy of the appraisal form used when carrying out Chair appraisals. This is consistent with those relating to other public appointments with the headings changed to reflect the role of a Chair of an NHS Board.
The appraisal form was updated in February 2019 to reflect the role of a Chair as set out in the “Blueprint for Good Governance” which can be accessed via the attached link: https://www.sehd.scot.nhs.uk/dl/DL(2019)02.pdf.
In response to your question shown as the 3rd bullet point above, please find the information below:
- 2015 – 6
- 2016 – 2
- 2017 – 5
- 2018 – 5
- 2019 – 5
There are normally 2 formal appraisal meetings carried out during a Chairs tenure, the 1st one normally around 12-18 months into the role and the 2nd around a year before the end of their tenure, which includes a discussion regarding reappointment. They also have regular 1:1 discussions with the Cabinet Secretary for Health and Social Care.
In response to your question shown as the 4th bullet point above, please find the information below:
Between 2011 and end of 2015 – 2
Between 2016 and 2020 – 1
Jeane Freeman’s initial tenure as Chair was from 1 January 2011 until 31 December 2014. During this time she had 1 formal appraisal and 1 reappointment discussion which took place at the end of 2014. Ms Freeman was reappointed from 1 January 2015 and ended her tenure as Chair on 18 March 2016. Stewart Mackinnon, the then Vice-Chair of the Golden Jubilee Foundation undertook the role of Chair between 19 March 2016 and 3 April 2018. Susan Douglas-Scott was appointed as Chair of the Golden Jubilee Foundation with effect from 4 April 2018 for a 4 year term.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses.
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrews House