- 15 May 2019
Date received: 20 Mar 2019
Date responded: 11 Apr 2019
Convictions under the Emergency Workers (Scotland) Act 2005 for the most recent 5 years available:
1. Number of convictions in each year
2. Number of main disposals imposed in each case
3. Could this be split in relation to the type of emergency worker concerned, eg, ambulance workers, firefighters, etc?
4. Finally, What was the maximum penalty imposed in relation to an assault on each type of
The answers to questions 1 & 3 are noted below and the attached excel workbook contains data for questions 2 & 4.
1. The number of convictions in Scottish Courts for offences under the Emergency Workers (Scotland) Act 2005 can be found under the 'Additional Data' tables published alongside the 'Criminal Proceedings in Scotland, 2017-18' bulletin. These tables are available at https://www2.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Crime-Justice/Datasets/DatasetsCrimProc .Under section 25(1) of FOISA, we do not have to give you information which is already reasonably accessible to you. If, however, you do not have internet access to obtain this information from the website(s) listed, then please contact me again and I will send you a paper copy.
3. The Scottish Government does not hold this information by type of emergency worker. Figures provided in the excel workbook do not include all convictions for assaults on emergency workers. Some of the attacks on emergency workers may be prosecuted under other legislation (e.g. Police and Fire Reform (S) Act 2012 or Police (S) Act 1967) as published in our additional datasets. More serious assaults may result in other charges, such as serious assault or attempted murder. These cannot be identified separately in the available statistics and are, therefore, not included.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses.
- File type
- 17.4 kB
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrews House