- 23 Oct 2019
Date received: 2 Oct 2019
Date responded: 18 Oct 2019
You asked for
- Details of the deck maintenance schedule of the vessel, MPV Minna;
- Details of when the deck area of the MPV Minna was painted in the period 28/07/2017 – 28/07/2018;
- Details of the recommended type of paint to be used for painting the deck of the MPV Minna;
- Details of the type of paint that was used to paint the deck of the MPV Minna in the period 28/10/2017 – 28/10/2018;
- Details of any complaints or incidents reported in relation to the type of paint used to paint the deck of the MPV Minna in the period 28/07/2017 – 28/07/2018; and
- Details of any accidents reported by crew on board the MPV Minna in the period 28/07/2018 – 28/07/2018.
I enclose a copy of most of the information you requested.
The answer to your questions are:
1. The deck maintenance onboard MPV Minna is scheduled through an electronic planned maintenance system called the Ship Management Database (SMD). The SMD program was created in-house by Marine Scotland IT and is used exclusively throughout the fleet. Painting of external decks is not part of the SMD however it is usually carried out annually if the state of the deck deteriorates and when weather conditions allow.
2. There are no specific dates logged for each day of painting, rather it is recorded as part of the handover notes for each individual trip. The deck of the MPV Minna was prepared and painted on the following trips:
21/07/17 – 24/07/17 Commence removing paint from forecastle deck.
24/07/17 – 19/02/18 Due to dry dock and poor weather during these dates, the main paint work carried out consisted of painting internal decks, davits and windlasses.
19/02/18 – 12/03/18 Commenced touch up paint work on forecastle deck.
14/05/18 – 04/06/18 Commence external deck painting of funnel stack top.
04/06/18 – 25/06/18 Painted boat deck and crane knuckle.
25/06/18 – 16/07/18 3.5m x 7m area of forecastle deck painted with green Interlac 665.
06/08/18 – 27/08/18 As per guidance from international paint representative the 3.5m x 7m area of forecastle deck pained with green Interlac 665 was sanded using a disc sander to provide a sufficient key at which point green Interbond 201 parts A and B was applied.
3. Internal decks are painted using green Interlac 665. External decks are painted using green Interbond 201 (parts A & B).
4. The types of paint used to paint the deck of the MPV Minna during the period 28/07/18 – 28/07/18 are highlighted in section 2 (above).
The external decks were painted with green Interbond parts A & B as part of the vessels paint specification. However, during the trip commencing on the 25/06/18 and ending on the 16/07/18, a 3.4m x 7m area of the forecastle deck was painted using green Interlac 665 which is normally used to paint the internal decks.
5. Please see attachment.
6. Please see attachment.
An exemption applies
An exemption under section(s) 38(1) of FOISA applies to some of the information you have requested. This means that the names of individuals within the reports have been redacted as to not do so would breach data protection principles.
This exemption is not subject to the ‘public interest test’, so we are not required to consider if the public interest in disclosing the information outweighs the public interest in applying the exemption.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses.
- File type
- 10 page PDF
- 761.4 kB
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrews House