- 23 Aug 2019
Date received: 25 Jul 2019
Date responded: 22 Aug 2019
You asked for information relating to Caledonia Cremations:
- How many cremations have been conducted/completed by this company since the first day of trading until 31 March 2019?
- Apart from the initial start-up costs of European and Scottish Government money which was approximately £147,000 plus a grant of approximately £50,000 for 2 transit vans, has there been any further funding either through European, Scottish Government or grants?
- I believe Heriot Watt University were employed to carry out a feasibility study on this Government initiative. Can you confirm this has been completed and if so what costs were incurred?
1. The Scottish Government does not retain commercial information regarding the number of cremations conducted by Caledonia Cremations from the first date of trading until 31 March 2019.
While our aim is to provide information whenever possible, in this instance the Scottish Government does not have some of the information you have requested. However, you may wish to contact Community Renewal Trust at Orkney Street Enterprise Centre, 18-20 Orkney Street, Glasgow, G51 2BX who may be able to help you. The reasons why we don’t have the information are explained in the Annex to this letter.
2. No further European or Scottish Government grants have been provided to Caledonia Cremation.
The one year Social Innovation Fund grant of £147,568.40 to Community Renewal Trust did not contribute towards Caledonia Cremation start-up costs. Funding supported 4 staff for the project duration and a researcher for 6 months on a direct staff cost flat rate model.
3. Heriot Watt University has completed an academic report which is available on request from Community Renewal Trust. To date the Scottish Government has verified expenditure and reimbursed £8,554.82 for research costs which forms part of the total grant noted above. We are unable to confirm the final actual cost attributed to the 6 month research post until supporting documentation is confirmed and verified.
Reasons for not providing information - Annex
The Scottish Government does not have the information
Section 17(1) of FOISA (information not held) requires the Scottish Government to notify you if it does not have the information you requested. The Scottish Government does not have the information you have asked for because it relates to an external organisation which Scottish Government is not responsible for. Community Renewal Trust, the organisation responsible for the social enterprise Caledonia Cremations, will be able to assist with the information you are looking for.
This is a formal notice under section 17(1) of FOISA that the Scottish Government does not have the information you have requested.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses.
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrews House