Information regarding Cross border bus services, routes and concessions: FOI release

Information request and response under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002.

Information requested


1. A list of all bus routes in Scotland that cross the border in to England (including the route number and where it goes to and from and the bus operator who runs it).

2. For each route please advise if it is a commercial service or if it is a council contract (and if so please advise which council(s) funds it).

3. For each route please list all local authorities that the route passes through (in both Scotland and in England as well).

4. For each and every cross border bus route can you please provide full details on the policy regarding accepting concession bus passes for cross border journeys and the restrictions and where concession bus pass holders can travel to and from on both sides of the border (i would like details for the policy of concession bus passes issued by councils in Scotland and for those issued by councils in England as well).




While our aim is to provide information whenever possible, in this instance the Scottish Government does not hold the information you have requested in points 1-3. However, if you have not done so already, you may wish to contact the Traffic Commissioner, who may be able to provide the information you have requested based on local bus service registration details. 

The Traffic Commissioner’s address is:

Level 6, The Stamp House,

10 Waterloo Place,



Tel: 0300 123 9000

Regarding point 4, concessionary travel arrangements are different across the UK.  Scotland and England have separate national concessionary travel schemes for their older and disabled residents.  Although the schemes are similar to each other, they are implemented under separate pieces of legislation and there are some major differences between how the schemes operate.  The schemes provide bus travel concessions only.

The Scotland-wide Free Bus Travel Scheme for Older and Disabled People is funded and operated by Transport Scotland.  It offers free bus travel to people aged sixty and over and to eligible disabled people who live in Scotland and who hold a National Entitlement Card (NEC).  Card holders can travel at any time of day for any number of journeys on registered local buses and long distance scheduled coach services throughout Scotland.  NECs are not valid for travel on bus services in England or any other part of the UK except limited cross border travel to Berwick-upon-Tweed and Carlisle.  Travel within these towns is not included.  

The following bus operators provide cross border services. This is based on information from concessionary reimbursement claims in 2019 under the Free Bus Travel Scheme. This is not an exhaustive list of all services that may operate cross border.  As noted above, the Traffic Commission may be able to provide the full list of bus routes based on local bus service registration information.  NEC holders travelling on them from Scotland to Berwick-upon-Tweed or Carlisle would be eligible for free travel under the scheme.

Peter Hogg, Jedburgh – Service 131

Scottish Borders Council, based in Melrose – Service 902

Buskers Limited, based in Galashiels – Service 87

Stagecoach North West, based in Carlisle – Service 79/179

Travelsure, based Belford, Northumberland – services 10, 2, 3, 5, and 6

Glen Valley Tours (IDM Travel), based Wooler, Northumberland – service 4

The English national concessionary travel scheme provides travel concessions for older and disabled people living in England.  It offers free bus travel within England for people who have reached state pension age and eligible disabled people.  However, free travel is only available on local bus services and is restricted to off peak times. The scheme is administered by local authorities.  For further details for the policy of concession bus passes issued in England, I advise you contact the Department for Transport who have responsibility for this policy.  Contact details are available here -


About FOI

The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at


Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000

The Scottish Government
St Andrews House
Regent Road

Back to top