- 21 Aug 2018
Date responded: 15 August 2018
Information regargding road traffic accidents on a section of the A83 in Argyll and Bute in the last FIVE years.
Specifically, accidents on the section of the A83 between its junction with Cossak St in Lochgilphead (Roundabout OS Grid ref NR864877) and the unnamed road leading to Kilmory industrial estate and the Council Offices (Grid ref NR 864866). See highlighted section in attached map.
I would like any information you hold regarding the number of accidents, type of vehicles involved and contributing factors.
As the information you have requested is ‘environmental information’ for the purposes of the Environmental Information (Scotland) Regulations 2004 (EIRs), we are required to deal with your request under those Regulations. We are applying the exemption at section 39(2) of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 (FOISA), so that we do not also have to deal with your request under FOISA.
This exemption is subject to the ‘public interest test’. Therefore, taking account of all the circumstances of this case, we have considered if the public interest in disclosing the information outweighs the public interest in applying the exemption. We have found that, on balance, the public interest lies in favour of upholding the exemption, because there is no public interest in dealing with the same request under two different regimes. This is essentially a technical point and has no material effect on the outcome of your request.
Please see attached Annex A which details road traffic incidents at the location specified in your request on the A83 in Argyll and Bute in the last five years from 1 January 2013 to 31 December 2017.
Exception 10(5)(a) of the EIRs (prejudice to international relations, defence, national security or public safety) has also been applied to some of the information you have requested in Annex A. This exception applies because disclosure of this information would, or would be likely to endanger the physical or mental health or safety of an individual.
Annex B is a location map for reference.
Please note that the information provided is based on the current figures available. The following are potential reasons for an accident not appearing on our system:
- Transport Scotland only holds accident information which is provided to us by Police Scotland.
- Transport Scotland does not hold information relating to damage only accidents (i.e. not involving an injury).
- Transport Scotland only holds accident information for the trunk road network.
- The accident information Transport Scotland holds is subject to change. E.g. we receive late returns from Police Scotland, who are responsible for recording details of injury accidents.
- Annual Scottish accident figures are published by Transport Scotland on a yearly basis and can be found by entering Reported Road Casualties Scotland into your search engine.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrews House