- 3 Aug 2018
FOI reference: FOI/18/01857
Date received: 9 July 2018
Date responded: 1 August 2018
1. Copy of inspection report on M8 at Kingston Bridge carried out on 6/2/18 by Scotland Transerv.
2. Details of how inspection was carried out (ie on foot or in moving vehicle).
3. If inspection was carried out from a moving vehicle, which lane and what speed was the vehicle travelling in.
4. The weather condition at time of inspection.
As the information you have requested is 'environmental information' for the purposes of the Environmental Information (Scotland) Regulations 2004 (EIRs), we are required to deal with your request under those Regulations. We are applying the exemption at section 39(2) of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 (FOISA), so that we do not also have to deal with your request under FOISA.
This exemption is subject to the 'public interest test'. Therefore, taking account of all the circumstances of this case, we have considered if the public interest in disclosing the information outweighs the public interest in applying the exemption. We have found that, on balance, the public interest lies in favour of upholding the exemption, because there is no public interest in dealing with the same request under two different regimes. This is essentially a technical point and has no material effect on the outcome of your request.
1. Please refer to Annex A of this request which is the inspection defect report from 27 February to 13 March.
2 and 3. Transport Scotland's approach to the maintenance of the trunk road network is set out in the 4th Generation Term Contract for management and maintenance of the Scottish Trunk Road Network and our Road Asset Management Plan. Both documents are available online at the following links;
Schedule 7: Part 1 of the contract provides an overview of inspections,surveys and defect defect categories and response times.
Schedule 7: Part 2: Section 2.7 of the contract provides details of inspections and their frequency during winter.
Schedule 7: Part 6: Section 3 of the contract details the inspections and their frequency for Structures.
4. While our aim is to provide information whenever possible, in this instance Transport Scotland does not have the information you have requested. Therefore we are refusing your request under the exception at regulation 10(4)(a) of the EIRs. The reason why that exception applies is we do not record weather conditions in our internal reporting systems.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrew's House