- 3 Apr 2018
FOI reference: FOI/18/00853
Date received: 20 March 2018
Date responded: 23 March 2018
The number of homes built in Scotland from 2007 to date that were built:
1. for affordable rent
2. for affordable home ownership
3. for social rent through Council ownership
4. for social rent through Housing Associations
5. for private rent through commercial Housing Associations
6. to be sold through the private market.
The responses to each of your questions are in turn below.
For questions 1 to 4, figures can be found in the latest published Scottish Government Quarterly Housing Statistics Update Excel tables for Affordable Housing Supply completions:
The figures quoted below are based on the latest published figures from January 2007 up to the year-end December 2017. These figures are based on units completed through the Scottish Government Affordable Housing Supply Programme, and relate to new build housing only – housing stock acquired by councils and housing associations through rehabilitation or off-the-shelf purchases are not included (however this detail is available in the published Excel tables should this be helpful to see).
1. The number of new build housing completions for affordable rent was 4,431.
2. The number of new build housing completions for affordable home ownership was 5,894 (this includes New Supply Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, and other types of affordable home ownership).
3. The number of new build housing completions for social rent through council house building was 8,300.
4. The number of new build housing completions for social rent through Registered Social Landlords was 35,906.
Note that the Scottish Government publishes separate figures on total local authority led new build completions at http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Housing-Regeneration/HSfS/NewBuildLA. These figures relate to all local authority led completions throughout this period, irrespective of whether the units have been funded as part of the Scottish Government Affordable Housing Supply Programme.
5. While our aim is to provide information whenever possible, in this instance the Scottish Government does not have the information on the number of homes built for private rent through commercial housing associations.
6. The number of private-led new build homes built since 2007 is 141,217 (based on completions from January 2007 to September 2017). Please note that the latest private-led new build figures are currently only available up to the end of September 2017. This figure will be higher than the number of homes that are sold through the private market as some builds for social rent will also be included (e.g. new build homes built under Section 75 agreements, where private developers contribute housing to a social landlord as a condition of planning permission). We are unable to provide a figure which excludes builds under section 75. The private-led new build figures are published by the Scottish Government here: http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Housing-Regeneration/HSfS/NewBuildPrivate
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrew's House