Cloud computing services: FOI release
- Digital Directorate
Information request and response under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002.
FOI reference: FOI/18/00546
Date received: 19 February 2018
Date responded: 12 March 2018
1. How much the Scottish Government, including its departments and agencies, spent on cloud computing services in the 2015-16 financial year; the 2016-17 financial year; the 2017-18 financial year to the end of December 2017; and whether or not these figures include VAT.
2. Which suppliers the government has used since April 2015 for cloud computing services (such as Crown Hosting, Amazon Web Services, Google or Microsoft).
3. How much it spent with each of these suppliers on cloud computing services in the 2015-16 financial year; the 2016-17 financial year; and the 2017-18 financial year to the end of December 2017. (If there are a large number of such suppliers, I am happy to restrict my request to the largest five.)
4. What the government uses cloud computing for, and whether this includes software as a service, platform as a service or infrastructure as a service.
5. The Scottish Government's policy on cloud computing.
You then resubmitted the request, reducing the scope of information to be gathered as follows –
...covering only the Scottish Government's Digital and Financial Management directorates
The answer to your questions are set out below. Please note that all amounts relate to the Scottish Government's Digital Directorate and are inclusive of VAT. The Scottish Government's Finance Directorate have confirmed they have had no expenditure on Cloud Serivces within the time frame requested.
1. 2016-2017: £58,000 2017-2018 (to end of Dec 2017): £29,800
2. Amazon Web Services Microsoft Azure
3. Amazon Web Services, 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 (to end of Dec 2017): £67,800.00 Microsoft Azure, 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 (to end of Dec 2017): £20,000.00
4. The Scottish Government uses cloud computing primarily to provide 'Infrastructure As A Service'.
5. Answered in the previous partial response of Wednesday 14 February 2018.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrew's House
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback