We asked you what the workforce needs to look like by 2020 to address the challenges that NHSScotland is facing. Over 10,000 people responded. Here are some of the things you said:
"We need to make sure there are enough staff where they are needed."
"More consistency of training opportunities for all staff."
"It’s time to move away from traditional roles and create a more flexible workforce."
"Make it mandatory to discuss behaviours and attitudes in appraisals."
"Our leaders will need to demonstrate the values we expect staff to adopt."
Your feedback tells us the things that need to change and be done better by 2020. This is reflected in the messages from the Staff Survey. Everyone Matters: 2020 Workforce Vision makes a commitment to address these issues.
This leaflet gives a summary of the things that will begin to happen in 2014-15 to tackle the issues. Full details are in the Implementation Plan.
What will your board do?
Here are some of the things your Board will do in 2014-15:
- Make sure that everyone uses our values to guide the decisions they take and the way people are treated. This is also about dealing with behaviours that don’t live up to our expectations.
- Make sure that the right people with the right skills are in the right jobs and that there are enough people doing the work.
- Make development reviews/appraisals more meaningful and fit for purpose, ensure that support staff have fair access to learning and development, and develop skills to improve the quality of what we do.
- Make sure that the care we provide is more joined up. Primary and secondary care services need to link up better and we need to work more closely with other Boards and our partners.
- Make sure that leaders and managers have the skills to manage people and that they lead by example.
What does it mean for me?
The majority of the 2020 workforce already work here or are in training so most of us will see changes to the way we work and how services are delivered.
Your Board will tell you what is happening, over the next year, to prepare the workforce for 2020 and respond to the challenges we face. Ask your line manager for an update if you haven’t heard.
Our vision and values
Our 2020 Workforce Vision
We will respond to the needs of the people we care for, adapt to new, improved ways of working, and work seamlessly with colleagues and partner organisations. We will continue to modernise the way we work and embrace technology. We will do this in a way that lives up to our core values.
Together, we will create a great place to work and deliver a high quality healthcare service which is among the best in the world.
The values that are shared across NHSScotland are:
- Care and compassion
- Dignity and respect
- Openness, honesty and responsibility
- Quality and teamwork
Everyone is expected to live these values.
More information, including the Implementation Plan for 2014-15,
is available from: www.workforcevision.scot.nhs.uk or call
0131 244 2478.
Email: Mandy Gallacher