Publication - Publication

Are You Entitled to Help with Health Costs (HCS1)

Published: 11 May 2012
Part of:
Health and social care

An information booklet providing advice on what help a person may be entitled to for NHS charges

36 page PDF

321.9 kB

36 page PDF

321.9 kB

Are You Entitled to Help with Health Costs (HCS1)
Free NHS dental treatment

36 page PDF

321.9 kB

Free NHS dental treatment

You can get free NHS dental treatment if, when the treatment starts, you are:

  • aged under 18;
  • aged 18 and in full-time education;
  • pregnant or have borne a child within the 12 months before treatment starts;
  • an NHS in-patient and the treatment is carried out by the hospital dentist;
  • an NHS Hospital Dental Service out-patient;*
  • a Community Dental Service patient.*

* There may be a charge for dentures and bridges.

Or, if when the treatment starts or when the charge is made:

  • you are getting, or your partner gets**:
    Income Support, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance or Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (Incapacity Benefit, Employment and Support Allowance (Contributory) and Disability Living Allowance do not count as they are not income-related), or Pension Credit Guarantee Credit;
  • you are entitled to, or named on, a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate;
  • you are named on a valid HC2 certificate issued under the terms of the NHS Low Income Scheme.

Partial help:

  • if you are named on a valid HC3 certificate you might get some help towards the cost of your NHS dental treatment.

War pensioners:

** You need to have been included or taken into account when the benefit was calculated.


Email: Shelagh Scott